Router Table setup..

Hi,
I am about to build a router table, but I am unsure of how you change the bit whilst it's in the table. It sounds like from all I've read, that you have to take the whole router off the table etc. this seems mad as some people spend weeks fine-tuning their router, then you want to change the bit and out it all comes..
Surely I have missed something. If I haven't, I need to re-consider the whole table thing!
Cheers,
Sam
"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message

For table use, the router is usually mounted on an "insert" which fits snugly into a "lipped" opening in the router table.
Because the weight of the router is usually all that holds it and the insert in the opening, it is a simple matter to lift the router and insert out of the opening for bit and height-of-bit changing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message

bit
Here's a picture showing the concept, which should be worth more than the words in my previous post:
http://e-woodshop.net/files/insert.jpg
Good luck on your router table project.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I am not sure what you mean by fine-tuning the router, but that is besides the point. Anyhow, I have no trouble changing bits on my Bosch 1617 in the table. It helps that the insert is clear so there is light on it, as otherwise it is boxed in for dust collection. Occasionally something is really jammed and I have to pull it, and the insert out, but that is not a big deal either.

bit
Not weeks Sam, minutes. Most tables give you enough clearance to reach a wrench underneath and get the collet loose and tight, so it's not really a big deal. Some folks use more elbaborate rigs that hold their router and enable them to make adjustments from above. If you have the money for them, they can be a time saver but if you don't it's really not all that bad reaching under the table to loosen up the collet and adjust the bit.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Just because it is a 13 year old boy getting the advice, it might be better to rephrase that a bit.
It is rare that your would " loosen up the collet" to adjust the bit ... that could be dangerous.
Once a bit is properly seated in the collet, you use other methods, depending upon the router, to "adjust the bit".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

better
It's the only way to either change out a bit to adjust it if you don't mount the bit properly in the first place. Nothing dangerous about replacing a bit - assuming the obvious stuff that's included in the router owner's manual. You can't remove a bit without loosening the collet.

Well, he was asking about replacing the bit and that's what I was intending to address. Don't really know how the word "adjust" crept in there.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
A set of offset wrenches can help making it possible to change the bit from the top. Just raise the bit all the way, then reach in with the offsets.