Router table - open or closed front?

Some books on routers caution the reader NOT to close in the router (with a door in the front), but rather to keep it open for purposes of preventing the router from overheating.

And some books lay out plans for router tables WITH the front closed.

Of course, authors on both sides of this debate are 'experts' in the field. And hence, this leaves me to question which direction to take.

Closing the router in allows for better dust control (with a nicely positioned dust port under the table - in addition, of course, to the dust port above the table). I would assume that closing it in also helps cut down the noise level.

Could I hear opinions on this? I'm leaning towards closing it in, if not just to keep generic dust and junk off the router.

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:VrSdnZ2dnZ1qV0 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Mine is close, and I wouldn't have it anyother way. My router has never been the slightest bit warm. Presumably there is enough airflow from the DC to cool anything.

Reply to
Toller

overheating? NONSENSE! I have a totally enclosed router with a 7518 that runs for ages without overheating. The router table base has a fully enclosed DC chamber to suck the woodchips away from the routing operation. plenty of air moves through the DC, my friend. and all of it is coming through the router. You are perceiving a problem where none exists. the benefit of enclosing the router is it makes it MUCH QUIETER. :)

I wouldn't enclose the router and then fail to provide DC capability!!

Dave

Reply to
David

Proper dust collection will provide plenty of "air flow" and the router is in no danger.

After you clean up after a long session on a table without a base, you will very quickly appreciate a closed in table.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

The Correct Answer is: Dependant on the Owner.

If your one lazy ass who never cleans up the shop and is to lazy to turn on the DC, Get an open table! If your attentive and connect your DC and keep your shop clean, Get the enclosed door type.

Reply to
HMFIC- 1369

Mine is closed, with DC. *Lots* quieter, and I just vacuum out the bin once in a while.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Yep. DAMHIKT!

Reply to
tom_murphy

"The compartment housing the router is open to the front. A door on it would imit access to the router for those adjustments that always have to be made. And it would restrict the air circulation that's so important to router cooling."

HOWEVER ... based on the overwhelming majority opinion here, I'll go with a closed housing. I do intend on having the DC on whenever the router is being used.

Thanks!

Jack

David wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:VrSdnZ2dnZ1qV0 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I would imagine that a closed system with a DC would create a cooler router. Compare that to now air flow in a closed system.

Where would you rather be? In a closed room hotter than heck, or with a breeze.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

who needs to make adjustments inside? the only time I open the access door (other than to clean out the chamber of wood chips) is to change speeds. Most of the time I leave it alone (on speed "2" or "3"). Router bit changes are done topside. I strongly suggest you NOT purchase a unit that requires fiddling underneath the tabletop except for speed changes. If you do lots of routing, you find out what I mean in a hurry!

Dave

Reply to
David

I agree. In fact, I have a JessEm router lift & plate on order. Like you said, the only adjustment I should ever have to do is making a speed change.

Thanks!

Jack

David wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

cool. the Jessem is quality stuff.

dave

Reply to
David

So, you've perfected that anti-gravity thing?

Reply to
CW

Well, if you had an attached part spinning at

20,000 rpm, you probably wouldn't care whether there was a breeze or not.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon