Router purchase

My router has died and the repair estimate is about 75% of the cost of a new one. I quized the service guy a little and he recomends Porter Cable as durable and easy to repair. The question is, how big to go. The dead router (an Elu) is a plunge router, 2.5 HP, variable speed. I will use a new one alot in a table, I have need of the plunge capability for some projects, and I do some raised panels (big ol' 3" bits) so variable speed is needed.
Now then, I figure 2HP is minimum. There are some 3.5 HP units avaiable. My current thought is to go with something like the 895PK which will give me plunge capabilities, fixed base when plunge is not needed, variable speed, and its 2HP. Thoughts? Oh yah, this is not for production work, for now I am a weekend woodworker with hopes to run a SMALL business in a couple of years when I retire from this rat race.
Input welcome.
Woodchip
Recommend the PC895PK (or a similar 890-based combo). I have one, I like it.
Go to groups.google.com and do a serach for it, as there have been a couple wars about which router is better recently.
If money is a concern the Hitachi MV12 is a great alternative. Works good as a plunge router and as a table router. Is 3.25 HP I believe. I really like mine though I have used it exclusively in my router table. Plenty of power and less noisy than I expected from a higher HP router. It has had solid reviews also. I have also used a Frued FT2000 a friend has and I think that one is a great router also (good price- see toolseeker.com) If you can afford it, then go PC all the way. I would love to have one of theirs.
Joey in Chesapeake

If using a lot on router table, get the 3+ HP router
John
On 13 Jan 2004 13:31:04 -0800, woodchip snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Paul Andersen) wrote:

I just got the 895pk on Sat. and used it for the first time last night. All I can say is....SWEET!!! John
I LOVE the Hitachi M12V with its low-torque start, variable speed, plunge feature. It was $139 at Lowe's. Someone on the newsgroup said they "think" Hitachi may be coming out with a new router and is trying to clear these out. If so, I will buy another one or two when I find a job. They are well worth every penny I paid.
On 14 Jan 2004 01:21:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Quadindad2) wrote:

LOL, as you can see from the recent postings, the war continues....
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:31:04 -0800, Paul Andersen wrote:

Dewalt 621 Hitachi M12V
I bought both of these last month on sale at Amazon and even more on sale with promotional coupons.
I've been very pleased with both. Once I add a Router Raizer and get them installed on the table and woodrat, I will be even happier.
hi all...
i;ve got the big orange triton 3+hp... it is THE table router... it should be for the cost, but i have used it regularly for over a year and have had no trouble. and highly recommend it. i keep it hooked up to a vacuum system on the table to keep the dust to a minimum...
william

PC 7518 for the table with a Jessum Lift.. PC 895 for minor stuff (Get the kit) PC Trim Router (for trimming) PC D-handle for most everything. PC 690 kit with plunge and fixed base as good backup. (Are you seeing a trend here ???)
Nobody can live with one router.