Router for Router Table

I'm putting a router table together and wanted to get folks opinions on what a good router would be or does it matter? I currently have a Sears

1 1/2 from 1994 or so. I'd like to keep one router handy for large pieces and the other semi-permanently mounted to the router tabel.

Also I am very interested in dialing depth adjustment from the top of the table and ease of bit change out.

Thanks!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Sauerwein

If you ever think you're going to want to do raised panels, you'll need

3HP or better as well as variable speed.

The Triton and new Porter Cables were designed specifically for router table use. The collets raise above the table and lock so you can change bits without moving the router. However, at least with the Triton, you must do this by shutting off the power switch on the router and cranking it up manually (this is a safety element). The "above the table" raisers won't engage the safety latches to permit this. Don't know how the PC does it. Even so, it's a *lot* easer changing bits this way.

Norm Abram got around the commercial router raisers by epoxying a cable to the end of his fine adjustment knob and running the cable with a knob outside the table. Seemed to work pretty well. Plans are still available. Personally, reaching under the table to crank the fine adjustment hasn't been that big a deal for me.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

Ditch the Sears.

Get a PC890, or a Bosch, Milwaukee, or Hitachi. Then get a router lift. I use the Benchdog table and lift. Best price is

The lift is adjustable from the top using a socket wrench, but I use my drill (with hex socket) to run it up or down to change bits. You may want to start out with a simple mount for a while because when you suffer making adjustments the hard way for 6 months you REALLY appreciate the lift ;) Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I recently bought the Triton for my router table. It replaced a 3 hp Bosch that has been hanging under there since 1988.

The unit does not have above adjustments but it does have an easy thumb screw like knob that can be easily adjusted from under the table. That said, the router does have the ability to remove the bit with 1 wrench from above the table with out removing the router.

I was also looking for height adjustments from above the table but it really is a non issue with this particular router. I by far value the ability to remove the bit from above the table over above table adjustments.

The router comes with an edge guide if you ever needed to use it in that mode for free hand work. The router is loaded with features that I doubt that you will find on any 1 router.

Reply to
Leon

Try the P-C 8529. With the above-the-table kit (the same kit for the 890) you can change bits and adjust the depth from above the table without purchasing an additional lift. Add to this 2HP and variable speed, and you have a pretty good setup.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz