Router bit Q - inexpensive

Greetings
I would like to purchase a "set" of the commonly used router bits for future projects that are looming.
I looked at Home Depot and a typical 3/8" roundover bit w/ bearing is around $22.00
Looking on ebay, they have a fifty piece set for around $50.00. The mfg is grizzly mountain or some name like that. I am an infrequent user of router bits, so I don't need the absolute finest available. Any experience with value of these large collection of bits?
Thanks
BL
BORDEN1000 wrote:

I have no idea how good that set is, but proably not very good. OTOH, if you go to www.woodcraft.com you will find a special deal on router bit for $5 each. They are a decent bit and for the price, you just can't go wrong. I bought one of each and I'm happy with them. They will normally sell for much more.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

My FIL ruined his router collet with a cheap bit which left a burr. Like he said, the RPM's (I think the max is about 22K on most routers) warrant good engineering.
Joe

Rather than buying a set of bits that somebody else has picked out, and finding that you never or hardly ever use half of them, you're probably better off to buy one or two at a time as you find that you need them. You may pay more for the ones you buy, but you won't be spending money on bits you don't need.
For good quality at a pretty good price, try MLCS bits (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com ) I've used them for years and been very happy with them.
On 16 Feb 2004 14:11:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BORDEN1000) wrote:

In router bits, cheap usually means "unsafe." A flying router bit at 25,000 RPM can do a lot of ugly damage. These things break more easily than you would assume.
Also, if you have a choice (if your router allows), get a bit with 1/2 inch collet, not 1/4 inch. The reason is that the thicker the collet size the more stable the bit runs, the harder it is to break, and you get better results.
I'll second the suggestion of taking advantage of the Woodcraft $5.00 deal. This is an anomaly pricewise, you are getting a bit that's worth much more than $5.
--
gabriel

I haven't seen a router bit yet that comes with a collet. Do you have to specify brand of router or do they come with an assortment?

CW wrote:

Messed up. Mean the other thingie that I don;t remember what it's called at this moment. "Shaft" maybe? Who knows. You know what I mean.
--
gabriel

Shaft is close enough. Usually known as shank.

CW wrote:

Thanks. That's something about my brain... I can remember numbers like no one's business but words, names specially, I temporarily forget too often.
It's really emabarrasing, one time I forgot my own sister's name!
--
gabriel

gabriel wrote:

Cudda been worse. You could have forgotten she was your sister and asked her for a date.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I got an MLCS set that was cheap , functional, and I have been satisfied with...
BORDEN1000 wrote:

A few tips on cutter selection at the http://www.patwarner.com/faq.html link. ********************************************************************