Round Over Problem- Too big for router?

I'm trying to make a shackle for a lock out of "Making Wooden Locks" by Tim Detweiller. I'm trying to make an oversized version- however- I need essentially make a 2" round, u-shaped piece of wood. While I could rout it with a 1" round over- I only need one and don't want to shell out the $45 for one cut. The final project will be a "U" that is 2" around and would fit in a 10" x 16" x 2" box.

Anyone have a good work around that is pseudo-safe?

Stumped,

ktow

Reply to
ktow

Chamfering bit followed by a rasp

Reply to
RayV

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Get a 2" dowel and bend it.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------

ktow wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Surely you must have at least one of these ...... Hands ( hopefully U have 2, but you could manage with one) Chisel Plane / spokeshave Rasp Knife Sandpaper project could have been finished in the time it took to post and read responses.

Reply to
Paul D

Basically the same as fairing out a boat hull.

Make a half round template to check your work as you proceed.

Cut out a blank with a saber saw, then it is time for a rotary tool of choice, something like a low speed die grinder, say 2,000 RPM max.

If you have a decent air compressor, a pneumatic drill for $20 from HF does the job nicely.

Hog out excess material with rotary rasps, then finish with flap wheels, using template to check your work as you go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett