Roller Stands - What's the Best?

Page 2 of 2

Your 'Name' says it all.
The Lee Valley is a nifty item . . . if money & space are no problem {that is MY opinion}. However, for someone who is lacking of both . . . I started with making my own.
From an 'ancient' tip . . . got some old typewriter {that's BP - before printers} rollers and some 'on-sale' ball rollers. With small 'shelf angles' for roller brackets, and the screw holes in the balls, mounted them to chunks of 2x2 stock with a slot on the opposite side. Attached to a scrap of OSB, they could be clamped to any convenient sawhorse, etc.
Later, I drilled a shallow hole in the middle of the slotted side so I could put them on a 'recycled' home fan support. Still later, I picked up two different Harbor Freight 'adjustable' stands at '50 percent off, plus an additional discount' sales - under 10 bucks !!

Never Enough Money wrote:

If your nym is accurate you can improve your lot by buying some 1 1/2 or 2" PVC pipe, cutting same to length desired and filling ends with a circular plywood plug. You can even bush the latter with pieces of 1/4" copper pipe (which would require using 1/4" axels). Still gotta make a stand, not hard.
Why buy when you can make quickly for peanuts?
What's a "nym"?

Short for pseudonym.

Wow! Darned near a hundred bucks for a roller stand?? These were less than $10 on sale and work well. The only complaint is the bracket that attaches the roller to the stand has only one screw and allows the roller to tip slightly. a spot of weld cured it for me. Greg
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF074
I have a Record roller stand. I like the way it adjusts easily, it's fairy heavy, and it stores flat against the wall. Maybe not the best, but it does the job. I got it on a closeout sale at the BORG for $25.