Rojek Combination Tool?

Reply to
Toller

were in Phoenix...

Reply to
Toller

Or do you really mean it's a rare occurrence to check for being withing 3/10,000 ?

Reply to
lwasserm

Have a look at my shop layout. There's a 1' x 1' grid on the "floor" so you can get an idea of the space required. Not that the rails the sliding table rides on can be moved foreward or back, depending on what you're doing. If you want to cross cut a 4x8 sheet of ply the 5' 6" rails need to be pulled all the way foreward - extending out in front of the saw table by 3 1/2 feet. If the unit can be set up with the front of the unit almost agains a garage door you'd be fine. But remember that if you're going to rip sheets of ply you need 7 feet in front of the saw and and 7 feet behind it. Even if you limit rips to 4' lengths you'd still be cramped in 9 1/2'.

As for the Robland X31 being light - it's 1,100 pounds! You've heard of The Nickel Test - set up a nickel on edge on the saw table and turn on the saw. If the nickel stays standing you've passed The Nickel Test? Well my X31 passes The DimeS Test. Stand one dime on edge parallel to the blade, and another at 90s to the blade. Turn on the saw and rip a board. Dimes don't move.

Now as to comparing the X31 to MiniMax and Felder, the X31 has a large sliding table, riding on rails. The other two have a linear bearing "slider" which significantly narrower and relies on the cross cut fence and the operator to support the part of the sheet not sitting on their "table". Think panel saw for MiniMax and Felder.

The advantage of a larger cast iron sliding table shows up when you're doing end grain on the shaper and cross cutting long stock

With the narrow linear bearings sliding table, there's not the range of clamping positions available like on the X31 sliding table.

Re' "tolerances" combi's are a bit trickier to set up than separate stand alone machines because the joiner's outfeed table AND the table saw/ shaper table AND the slding table must be coplaner. Now add the fact that the sliding table must stay coplaner with the saw table top AND track parallel to the saw blade over its range of motion.

These set up instructions will give you and idea of what's involved in setting up anX31

If you have questions about the Robland X-31 e-mail me.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I said what I meant. You can read, right?

Reply to
CW