Rockwell Bandsaw

I have a friend that is offering me a Rockwell 14" older bandsaw. I am wondering if this is a good price for this unit. His price to me is $300, and from sounds it is his Father In Laws saw. He mentioned no accessories, or extras, and the photo he showed to me is only of the saw. Suppossedly it works great.
Any Input Appreciated,
--
Brian

Brian wrote:

It's a great price for any Rockwell (Delta) machine that tracks a band. If the band doesn't track then it's a project machine.

It being a friend you'd think he wasn't steering you the wrong way, right?

Not a prob.
UA100
Keeter, why are you behaving lately? (Or did I miss a dig somewhere in the past week? I don't read all the threads, nor ALL (or many) of YOUR posts). I hesitate to assume you've turned over a new leaf. I expect you to return to form. :) (Lure tossed in, waiting for a bite...)
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I have a rockwell bandsaw built in 1951 (I called Delta with the serial number to find out). When I got it I replaced the tires, and all the bearings, and I've not had a problem with it yet. I am considering replacing the tension spring, though.
Steve
www.postalbanks.com
Don't know the age of my 14" Rockwell but it works quite well. I bought the tension spring from Iturra and blades come from Suffolk Machinery.
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:28:09 -0500, "Steve Kreitler"

Not being able to see the BS I'd say it's a fair price for any vintage Rockwell/Delta BS. Figure on spending some money getting new tires, a link belt, a couple of blades, Cool Blocks, and maybe a new tension spring. Not much money. Also, you may want a good fence like Mule or the Duginske (can't recall the model name) and a miter guage if the saw doesn't come with these. Get Mark Dugniske's book, "The Bandsaw Handbook". You'll learn a lot from it.

The miter guage that came with the BS has been hanging on a nail for 9 years, unused. Most blade have lead angle cutting and I've not found a use for a miter guage. Maybe to keep the economy going? <{;=)
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:10:48 -0700, Layne <> wrote:

I've got what might be the same saw. It's about 30 years old, and works perfectly. From all appearances, it seems to be a Delta, as all Delta accessories fit it.

The one I have has an extra set of pullies to allow it to run at high or low speed, which is nice when going between the wood and the metal-cutting blades. Mine also has rollers built into the bottom, push on a foot pedal to lower them, roll saw to destination, raise the wheels & so on.

I'd price a Delta of the same specs & grade, and if the delta is more than $450, I'd buy the Rockwell for the $300 he wants. The current Delta saws have swing-out doors over the wheels where my Rockwell has nuts that come off to remove the doors, and some other minor differences, but nothing that makes it any less useful.
Dave Hinz