Rockler FX router lift

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Yes...there are speed reducers but they are not good for the router motor.

If you are going to raise panels with a 690, use a vertical panel raiser.

I think a router table needs a variable speed router for typical work and that includes big ass panel raising bits.

Think your way of working before you purchase.

Reply to
Pat Barber

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

How is a variable speed control bad for a universal motor when a variable speed control on a router (with a universal motor) isn't?

Reply to
krw

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

I can offer that an external speed control is typically rated for "X" amperage, often much greater than that of the unit is regulating.

Typically routers with built in speed control also have the ability to monitor the router speed and give more gas with it senses the RPM's slowing down. External speed controllers are not a whole much more than a dimmer switch for your lighting and do not monitor speed control.

I have both, I used an external on a 15 amp single speed router and while it did control the speed while running unloaded if you added a load you had to adjust accordingly. With a built-in speed controller it tends to maintain the RPM's to a constant up until you exceed the capacity of the router.

Reply to
Leon

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Not sure I buy that but how is that bad for the motor? As long as you don't stall the thing, there shouldn't be any problems.

Reply to
krw

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Just giving you actual experience of the problems associated with using a built in vs. external speed control.

Reply to
Leon

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Think about a router running at at half the speed under a load with reduced available power. Working harder, spinning slower, fan not keeping up with heat being generated.

Reply to
Leon

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

I'm sure *SOME* routers have RPM feedback in their speed controls but it is certainly not ubiquitous. Most *are* just heavy-duty lamp dimmers. Again, my question was more about why an external controller would damage a universal motor when an internal wouldn't damage the same motor.

Reply to
krw

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Not buying it, at least until the motor stalls. Universal motors aren't like induction motors, which do have a negative resistance and will attempt to maintain RPM at any load (or voltage) until they burn up. There is some increase in current due to the reduction in back-EMF but it's not that huge. Whether the control is internal or external doesn't change this.

Reply to
krw

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

I would have to agree with that. The internal units don't protect from heat. they keep the performance optimized..

But on the other hand isn't that controlling voltage.. so maybe I don't agree. Wouldn't a dimmer(voltage control) lower the voltage, while the feedback unit, under load would increase the voltage (good) whereas the dimmer approach pulls more amps at a lower voltage (bad)....

I'm not sure where I stand now.. :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

Since other folks actual experience is not acceptable, why not just go your own way with a speed controller and let us know what you found out ?

You have to know that many on this list have been doing this for a good long time and have made many mistakes along the way and they share that with others to be helpful.

I am sure that there are E/E's on this list that could explain the more technical aspects of all this but I doubt you would believe them.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I suspect that regardless of whether a speed controller is damaging to a router, it really depends on the usage model (duty cycle) of the router. Using a speed control to do a half-dozen raised panels over a 12-month period is quite different from using a speed control in a cabinet shop to raise panels every day.

FWIW, I've used a speed-control on a PC690 when spinning a large horizontal panel raising bit in a router table. It worked fine and I've not had any problems with the router in the intervening decade+.

Today, I use a Delta HD shaper instead.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Every one of my three different brand routers that I have bought since

1998 have the rpm monitoring, and soft start. Chances are a soft start variable speed router will do this. Triton, Bosch, Makita
Reply to
Leon

recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Whether the control is internal or

And I am not buying that!

Reply to
Leon

Heat protection is a side benefit from maintaining the speed when under a load. If the router slows down due to a load it is going to heat up faster.

Reply to
Leon

I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

No, soft-start does *not* imply RPM sensing. Thinking about it, I don't think it's possible with universal motors.

Reply to
krw

I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Which does the opposite. ;-)

Yes, the feedback would increase the voltage, which also increases the power consumed.

No. This would happen with an induction motor but not so much with a universal type.

Reply to
krw

How am I going to "find out" whether or not it's "bad for" the router?

I'm not looking for heresay.

I am an EE, though motors aren't "my thing".

Reply to
krw

I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Not sure I understand, what's not possible... my Bosch routers have both soft start and rpm sensing..

Reply to
woodchucker

I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Which part?

Reply to
krw

While I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Nothing, I was thinking about something else at the same time and got the two crossed.

Reply to
krw