ripping butcher block maple top

I have a 1 3/4 inch butcher block top that i need to rip with a 3 hp cab saw,i only have a freud combo blade-will this work without burning too bad? Keith

Reply to
keith

If the blade's sharp it shouldn't be much of a problem. Be sure to look out for metal rods,etc. in the top (depending upon how it was constructed)

Reply to
A Dog Named Stain

Keith,

Be sure both the wood and blade are cleaned. Any residue on the blade will heat up quickly and cause burning. Also make sure that your saw is in alignment to avoid and skewing of the block as you push it thru. Avoid pushing the wood to slow thru the blade. If you have any hardwood scraps to practice on, that would give you a better feel for how fast.

I just finished making a 6' long maple threshold for a French door set and I made a 9deg cut to make the bevel which went thru 3" of maple and only had a small burn mark at the very last inch. Clean blade, good alignment and nerves of steel !(oh, and did I mention, a good jig to hold the board perfectly vertical thru the blade - till the last inch anyway...)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Provided your saw is properly tuned and the blade is sharp it shouldn't be a problem UNLESS you're looking to justify buying another blade. If that be the case, ignore the previous statement and...

No! You need a new blade!

;-)

Nova

Thanks for the replies,my circular saw is a POS,so I will try the TS. I am only ripping 6 inches off,so i can run the narrow pc through the jointer and make my first attempt with a #7 plane on the wide pc(I'll make that edge the back!) Keith

Reply to
keith