Rigid table saw recall

Page 1 of 2
Saw this today on Rigid's website:
Name of product: Ridgid 10 Table Saws Units: About 3,000 Distributor: One World Technologies Inc., of Anderson, S.C.
Hazard: The table saws arbor shaft can fail when used with a stacked blade set (commonly known as a stacked dado set and used to cut grooves). The stacked blade set can be ejected from the saw, posing a potential laceration hazard to consumers.
Incidents/Injuries: One World Technologies has received three reports of shafts failing when used with a stacked dado set. No injuries have been reported.
Description: This recall involves Ridgid 10 table saws, model R4511. The recalled saws have manufacturing date codes between CD0829 and CD0837. The model number and manufacturing date code can be located on a metal plate on the rear of the cabinet. Products with an Arbor Inspected sticker directly above the plate or an orange square on the outside of the package are not included in the recall.
--
Go to rigid.com to get more.

This is a WAY serious problem.
On 09/16/2009 11:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oops!
Chris
YIKES!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You left off the part of the notice that includes the remedy and contact info.
. Sold exclusively at: Home Depot stores nationwide from January 2009 . through July 2009 for about $600. . . Manufactured in: China . . Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled table . saw and contact One World Technologies to schedule a free on-site . repair. . . Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact One World . Technologies toll-free at (866) 539-1710 between 8 a.m. and . 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit www.ridgid.com.
The fact that they'll provide free on-site repair speaks well of their commitment to their customers.
Saw this today on Rigid's website:
Name of product: Ridgid 10 Table Saws Units: About 3,000 Distributor: One World Technologies Inc., of Anderson, S.C.
Hazard: The table saws arbor shaft can fail when used with a stacked blade set (commonly known as a stacked dado set and used to cut grooves). The stacked blade set can be ejected from the saw, posing a potential laceration hazard to consumers.
Snip
Jeeez, You would think that if there was a strongest part to a TS it would be the arbor. Makes you wonder about other parts on the saw.

Makes a good case for registering any tool with the manufacturer, I know it's something that I don't always do. I wonder how many of the 3000 owners will never have a clue about the potential danger because they never registered the tool with Rigid.

And when you register, they sell your name to the junk mail people. Not always but it happens often enough.
"CW" wrote:

And?????????????????
Isn't that why circular files were invented?
Lew

Why should I pay to dispose of their garbage?
"CW" wrote:

Ever hear of Recycle?
Lew

I get one bill. Pays garbage and recycling and I don't have the option of saying I'll do my own recycling for a cut in the bill.
"LD" wrote:

Why would you want to?
Sounds like recycling is already included.
Lew

Then, I'm paying to dispose of Junk Mail.
"LD" wrote:

Doubt it.
You are probably paying a flat fee for total service.
Do you get a assessed a premium to recycle your junk mail?
Lew

Which includes recycling junk mail, Hence I am paying to get rid of it.
As is everyone else in a similar situation.
LD wrote:

We need legislation enacted to force the post office to deliver a cinder block with a business reply envelope attached.
Junk mail is out of hand.

We need legislation enacted to force people to deal with their own problems, instead of expecting the government to enact legislation to deal with them.

I have a garbage can in the garage, which I walk past on the way back in from the mailbox. The junk mail never makes it inside the house.
And I didn't need legislation enacted to figure out how to do that, either.
Doug Miller wrote:

Those junk mailers pay money to send that stuff out, so it's most likely a source of revenue for the post office, correct? I presume that outlawing it would cause them to lose money. However, the post office is a government agency supported by tax dollars, and my understanding is that the cost of postage is held artificially low as a result. The junk mailers are most certainly getting a sweet deal here, so how much of my tax money am I receiving back in the form of junk mail that I throw in the trash? I don't recall ever receiving any junk mail delivered by FedEx, UPS, or any other private courier.
Steve Turner wrote:

The only tax support that the Post Office gets is in exchange for services rendered--they get compensated delivering mail for Congresscritters and the blind, who by law aren't required to pay postage.
It's my understanding that good part of the Postal Service's working revenue comes from junk mail, hence their being so defensive about it.

How about something useful? Legislation that requires junk mailers to include a blank post-it note in every letter they send out. That way, at least you get a post-it note for the time it takes to open the envelope and throw away the rest.
Once you have 2 or 3 glue spreader credit cards, you don't need any more for a long, long time.
The best unsolicited letter I've gotten was the one that sent the free address labels. They're great for Menards Rebate forms.
Puckdropper