Rigid portable table saw

(I posted this message yesterday, couldnt find it anywhere on the group. Sorry if it ends up there twice).

Hello. What is the general opinion of the Rigid TS2400LS portable table table saw? Its about 100.00 cjeaper than the Bosch portable table saw (with folding stand). It has a 3 year warrenty and 90 day money back gaurentee. I'm not worried about table extentions as I can create a folding outfeed table set up for the basement. The issue is simply quality and durability.

Thank you.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Billings

I have a Ridgid table say and have been quite happy with the quality.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Reply to
Brian Harrison

I bought one because the thing makes sense. The extension that slides out the right side allows a router insert to be placed in the gap. You have to do a little rabbetting, but it sure is handy...and you get to use the fence, which has nifty t-slots already extruded in it. I quite like the fence... for what it is. I know it's not an Oliver. It soft starts and has lots of balls. I use it to cut strips of solid surface, and it's pretty much all it does. Got a set of big stabelisers (Lee Valley) on the arbour and made a zero clearance insert for it. The built-in dust-collection (only a 2 1/4") ductwork works adequately. My only beef is that I had to tighten the locking mechanism for the arbour tilt-action quite a bit. It was just not very positive out of the box. Yup.. it comes in a box. When not in use, I fold the thing up, slap it against the wall, router insert and all..... handy as a bag of chips (pocket on a shirt?)

I think you'll be surprised howe good it really is.

Reply to
Robatoy

Workbench Magazien reviewed this saw along with the Bosch 4000-07, DeWalt DW744S, Craftsman 137.218300 and Ryobi BTS20 in their April 204 Issue (Issue #282).

The Ridgid was the Editors Choice and the Craftsman was Top Value.

Pro's for the Bosch were enormous stock support, powerful, quiet and smooth running. Con's were "Too large for one person to move, blade changing is troublesome and below average dust collection. The

Pro's for the Ridgid were "Excellent base, Great performance, outstanding features and controls." Cons were "no outfeed support, finish rubbed off tabletop."

Their verdict was that "Ridgid sets the standard for jobsite table saws. Represents the best of all worlds at a competitive price."

It should be noted that both the Ridgid and Bosch offer soft start.

durability.

Reply to
Doug Brown

I won't promote the Bosch over Rigid because I haven't used both. I have a Bosch 4000 that I'm happy with, but that doesn't mean the Rigid won't work as well or better.

I will say one thing about the issue of moving the Bosch saw. I bought the Bosch 4000-09, the one that comes with the nifty folding, wheeled stand. On that stand the saw is a snap to move and set up (which I have to do all the time due to limited space). I avoided the folding stand because I do have to move it around all the time. The folding stand added to the cost, but I figure it was a lot cheaper than back surgery.

BTW, Bosch pre-drills that stand for a number of saws, including the Rigid

2400; so, if you get the Rigid you could still use that stand.

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

I love the folding stand for the saw, but I can't seem to find it as a seperate buy - you can only buy it at Home Depot with the table saw itself. I have an old saw that I want to get a stand for, and no one seems to sell the stand by itself. I need to be able to move the saw in and out of my garage to work on my house and I can't use it in the garage all the time.

Michael Bill> (I posted this message yesterday, couldnt find it anywhere on the group.

Reply to
USENET READER

Reply to
nospambob

USENET READER wrote in news:Vw24e.3609$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Have you looked at the Ridgid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle at HD? I bought one last spring for my CMS, but I believe that it could adapt to a jobsite table saw without too much difficulty. Pretty useful beast.

$99 on sale.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

on 4/4/2005 1:03 PM Patriarch said the following:

Might want to check for the following:

StableMate PLUS100 Universal Miter Saw Stand and Iowa Manufacturing, Inc. SM-600 StableMate Wheel Kit

Iowa Mfg is the manufacturer. The saw stand goes for $99 -- have seen them at Ace Hardware but bought mine for the same price (sans tax and shipping at Amazon.com)

Very nice system. Stand is VERY rigid and the saw (or whatever you wish to mount on it) mounts to a very sturdy quick release platform that allows for easy transport/storage. I also bought the wheel kit for mine so all told I have about $116 into it. Basic unit includes side wings to support your stock. With both extended you're looking at about a 10' span.

It will fit ANY CMS or SCMS. No plastic, all galvanized steel or structural, extruded aluminum (saw platform).

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused