Ridgid planer

Page 1 of 3
When I feed wood into my Ridgid planer it seems to get 'stuck' halfway through. I usually need to push or pull the wood the rest of the way and by the time it comes out I notice snipe marks in the middle of my wood.
I have tried adjusting the amount that I plane from "less" 1/128 to "more" 1/64 and am having the same problem. Unfortunately I have been able to repeat this scenario with both 4/4 and 8/4 wood.
If anybody had and ideas I would appreciate them.
Thanks, Rob
When I first got my planer for Christmas I noticed that it did it to me too. Then I locked the down the blade and that took care of the problem.

On 3 Feb 2004 07:48:49 -0800, avthokie wrote:

Try waxing the table.
Shawn
And make sure your rollers are clean, not waxed or nothin! Tom >On 3 Feb 2004 07:48:49 -0800, avthokie wrote:

Someday, it'll all be over....

I'm not sure this will help you but it certainly helped me. I can't take credit for it and I'm not sure what I did with the link but here goes:
Take a piece of melamine coated mdf or similar and lay it straight through the infeed-->planer-->outfeed assy. You don't need to fasten this down if you put a small 1x1 hardwood cleat at the front of the board in the infeed side. I hope this makes sense? If you put some paste wax on the melamine (may not even need to) you will have a very functional and near-zero snipe setup. This should solve your problem unless you have dull blades?
Thanks. Andrew.
btw - whoever came up with this ingenious idea is to be commended (as stated, it wasn't me -- thanks!

The planer I used to use sticks like crazy and ruins the wood. Then you spray something on the table and it runs beautifully, for a while.
Now that I have my own planer, does anyone know what that spray was?
PAM? Or other cooking oil spray. Pledge? Or other dusting sprays using mineral oil and some wax. WD40? Which seems to slick anything for a short time, and even removes some gum.
Any will work, be deleted on a subsequent pass.
Real planers have bed rollers.

while.

some
I am not certain but doesn't Pledge contain silicone oil? I don't think I'd want to spray that on my woodworking tools.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

I'd
How would that happen when the bottom of the board is in contact with it, no the side being planed? Am I missing something?

"George" <someone snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
Toller wrote:

Topcote should work well in that application.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

It could have been TopCote, but I say forget the spray, use plain old paste wax. Butchers, BriWax, Goddards, whatever you can find.
Barry
My Delta did this until I hooked it up to a dust collector. No problems since. It seems the dust would prevent the rollers from being able to feed the stock through.
Frank

avthokie wrote:

Make sure the head is locked, and try cleaning the rollers with some alcohol. You'll probably want to do that with the planer off :-)
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Thanks for all your help. I was able to solve my problem by cleaning the rollers with alchohol.
Thanks again, Rob
Hi All,
A new 'borg has opened up here in the sticks and they are slam full of Ridgid tools. I thought I heard a rumor that Ridgid was getting out of power tools. True? False? Maybe?
What do you folks think of the Ridgid 6" jointer and 13" planer? Is there a consensis of the "best value" in a 6" jointer, router table and 13" planer?
Terry
Hi All,
A new 'borg has opened up here in the sticks and they are slam full of Ridgid tools. I thought I heard a rumor that Ridgid was getting out of power tools. True? False? Maybe?
What do you folks think of the Ridgid 6" jointer and 13" planer? Is there a consensis of the "best value" in a 6" jointer, router table and 13" planer?
Terry

The jointer has gotten good reviews from people I've asked about it, though its table is shorter than others in its class can offer (ie Sunhill, Grizzly, and Yorkcraft). It sells for $400 at the Borg where I live, which frankly I think is a bit overpriced considering it has an open stand, while others that sell for less money tend to have cabinet stands. I haven't heard much about their planer.
NoNameAtAll wrote:

Paid $337 for mine incl tax - nyuk nyuk nyuk!