ridgid bandsaw vs grizzly

I am looing to purchase a bandsaw. My choices now are the ridgid BS1400 3/4 hp or the grizzly G0555 at 1 hp the difference in price is about $100 nore for the grizz. Any opinions or expeience with either or both or just general commentary. PS I will be doing some resawing

Scot

Reply to
srazor

I found the Ridgid with a brand new Woodslicer blade to be underpowered for resawing hardwood over 3" or so. I upgraded to a 1 HP motor and changed the pulley sizes to increase the blade speed a bit. Works great now. The original cast pulleys were crap, and caused immense vibration of the saw. The center bore of the large pulley was almost 1/16" off center. The blade wheels are lightweight, and are not at all balanced from the factory. I had to drill a bunch of shallow holes in the lower wheel to get it close to balanced.

Reply to
gw

I have a G0555 with the riser block installed and I love it. Grizz also has a resaw fence available for that saw which I will be buying soon.

Reply to
Tom

I have to agree on the G0555 - love it! But buy a decent blade.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

or the grizzly G0555 at 1 hp the difference in price is about $100 nore for the grizz. Any opinions or expeience with either or both or just general commentary. PS I will be doing some resawing

For the 14" bandsaws the "best overall" are Delta, General, Laguna, and Powermatic. If I had to decide between the two mentioned the Ridgid is the better value. You don't get a fence with the Ridgid, but that's probably not a big deal. (Am I the only one that doesn't use the bandsaw fence?) For resawing I like Laguna.

Reply to
Phisherman

or the grizzly G0555 at 1 hp the difference in price is about $100 nore for the grizz. Any opinions or expeience with either or both or just general commentary. PS I will be doing some resawing

I like my ridgid 1400 a lot, but it was a "get it on the HD credit card" thing and the only BS choice...

A little more hp would be nice but before I paid $100 for an extra 1/4 hp, I'd look for a used saw and put a 1 1/2 hp motor on it...

That said, I cut bowl blanks up to 9" thick or more and just take my time and use a sharp blade.... I would probably abuse the saw and blade more if I had more HP.. *g* Mac

mac davis

hp or the grizzly G0555 at 1 hp the difference in price is about $100 nore for the grizz. Any opinions or expeience with either or both or just general commentary. PS I will be doing some resawing

I use a fence for pen blanks and some resawing...

I built a fairly "hi-tech" one and trashed it because it was a PITA... I use a piece of 3/4" x 3" Oak in the miter slot now, with a few different size "spacers" to change the distance from the fence to the blade... works great..

(Ridgid 14") Mac

mac davis