REQ: plans for Rifle Wall Rack (vertical holding)

HI, colleagues handymen!

Planning to build a Wall Rack to hold firearms (4-rifles) vertically, all pictures I have found up to now on the Web will hold these horizontally.

Any suggestion?

Thanks. Canoe

Reply to
canoe

JOAT posted an "inspiration" link couple of months ago. Just a picture, no plans.

Do a google search on "border guard rack"

Or, heck, I'm feeling generous:

cdg

Steel safe??

Gene

Reply to
Gene

In a lot of old western movies, when the going got rough, the sheriff would get Winchesters out of a vertical rack on the wall. Maybe you could find a still from one of these shows or a picture of the sherrif's office set.

For the rifle rack I built, I leaned the rifles up against a wall at a stable angle and made some measurements with a tape measure. Then I built a mock-up of cheap lumber and drywall screws to test the concept before building the final version.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

TRIVIAL to design. you need a bottom piece, and a top piece.

the bottom piece is to rest the rifle butt-plates against, angled to match the angle of the butt-plates on the rifles.

Either route recesses in the bottom piece, to hold the butts, or add a couple of raised pieces to make a guide.

For the top piece, you simply route some notches to hold the barrels. Line the notches with felt.

It positions above the forwardmost part of the gunstock, and below the the front sight.

If you want to make it 'fancy', you add side pieces (dado the two pieces above into the sides), and a back.

Make the sides significantly longer than the rifles, add top and bottom pieces, and a couple of full-size glass doors. VOILA! a display _cabinet_.

Reply to
admin

If you REALLY need some ideas, watch some episodes of Andy Griffith. You'll notice in the jailhouse they have a wall rack for their rifles and shotguns. Really simple.

John

Reply to
John Thompson