repair switch on a delta contract saw

I have a Delta 36-470 contract saw for 4 years and the switch stopped working the other day. I opened it up. There are two springs with conductive cylindrical caps on (looks like made from carbon) and one of the cap was broken. I called Delta support and was told I had to buy a whole switch kit for $46. I just want to ask if people here have other ideas that cost less before I make the purchase.
Thanks.

Yep, any motor-rated switch (durable contacts) of the proper capacity should do. Unless you have to have magnetic or something, should be about six bucks.

The switch on my Delta jointer went. I replaced it with a $4 toggle switch from HD for about $5. I had to cut an adaptor plate, but that was not a big deal. Grizzly has a nice looking switch for not much more that looks to be a direct replacement, but the freight and delay were problems.
Just make sure that the switch is rated for the motor size you have; if you don't, it can fuse closed and that might not be good.
Here is a perfect switch ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Delta-Rockwell-Furnas-Style-Push-Button-Switch_W0QQitemZ4465174519QQcategoryZ632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I just found this one also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DELTA-TABLE-SAW-MOTOR-SWITCH-1-1-2-HP-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ7618053696QQcategoryZ26226QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Although I do like the original Delta switch on my contractor saw.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On 25 May 2006 09:24:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Same thing happened to me. For a while I bypassed the switch and used a separate switch connected to a plug --- but Canadian Tire sells a 2 pole switch that is almost an exact replacement, when I spotted that I replaced the switch and it even fit the pounting box properly, and that was my experience. They even call it a machine switch I think. It's been a while.