removable workbench top

I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Did that with small copper screws counter-sink around the perimeter.
Easy to install and totally removable.
P D Q
Barry von Tobel wrote:

Double back carpet tape with a few brads if the tempered hardboard lifts around the edges.
- Doug
I'd think rubber cement would work. When you want it up - use a heater iron or clothes iron to heat and soften the glue - so it releases.
Martin
Barry von Tobel wrote:

RE: Subject
As Doug suggested, double backed tape.
Lew

What? No solution involving epoxy? :-) Actually I agree with Doug and Lew: carpet tape and brads or even brass screws if it lifts around the edges.
Luigi
"Luigi Zanasi" wrote: ===========================What? No solution involving epoxy? :-) Actually I agree with Doug and Lew: carpet tape and brads or even brass screws if it lifts around the edges. ========================= Well, now that you ask:
Could always use a 2" chip brush and coat a 2" wide border of epoxy to fill the checkerboard side depressions of the hard board.
When cured, would provide a smooth surface for the double sided tape yielding a better bond thus you could save on tape by 50% by alternating 6" long pieces of tape with 6" blank spaces.
Lew

I knew you could do it! :-)
Luigi

I have done what PDQ said. Counter sunk flat head screws a few thousands below surface. WW

How about attaching a small ridge of trim around the edge of the bench that is the same height as the Masonite thickness. You could just drop the sheet in the recessed area and lift it out for replacement or cleaning. I have a small version of this in the top of my home made drill press table. I left a couple of finger indents at the edges and when it gets buggered up, I replace it.
Ron
I have this same on several work tables with 1/8" hardboard. I just drop a few screws around the edges and a few out in the middle. I rarely have a problem with it lifting up. I typically either clamp my work down to the table as I work on it or whatever is sitting on the table is heavy enough to flatten it anywhere it is "puffing" up although I never really see it lift up anywhere even with tiny work pieces.

Not an adhesive, but one way is to put a border of say 1" X 1/4" hardwood strips around the circumference of the table top, then cut the masonite to size so it drops in.
Larry W wrote:

My benches have a 3/4" x 1-1/2" band nailed/glued to 3/4" MDF on either side of the RAS. The banding is set 1/4" above the MDF. The tempered hardboard was set and J-rollered with double back carpet tape. The edges still lifted, even after a few days being weighted down. A few brads and all is well - been fine for about 6 years. I like Lew's idea of a thin border of epoxy on the underside of the tempered hardboard so the tape will take better and eliminate any brads/screws.
Tempered hardboard with several coats of poly is a tough surface and great for not having glue-ups permanently stick.
- Doug