red oak alternative

I have been working with red oak for furniture projects for years. Although I enjoy working with red oak I would like a change of pace. I build both large and small furniture projects,one of my next will be a bedroom set for my daughter.

Cherry, hard maple, and walnut are common choices for furniture. Or, for a rustic look, hard pine.
Hickory, pecan (same family), sassafrass. For softwood, cypress can be beautiful. Wilson

So go to a good wood supplier and take a look at another 20 or 30 varieties they have in stock and pick one. Get long wide boards for the big projects, narrow short ones for the small projects.

Me too. I like to change to Walnut for a change. A bit softer than Oak, very easy to work with, and the beauty really comes out with a clear finish.

I enjoy working with walnut even though it is quite a bit more expensive than oak. Beautiful grain and color. It also machines very well.
I also use a fair amount of ash, sometimes as an alternate to oak. The grain often presents a similarity to oak; and darker stains can produce a piece that is hard to distinguish from oak. Around here (Souther KS) it is about $1 a board foot cheaper. It machines similar to oak, maybe a little softer. It is a good idea to wipe an ash project with spirts or a pre-stain conditioner before staining. Some areas of open, smooth grain can blotch. Otherwise good stuff.
RonB

I use what ever wood the project calls for. Currently I have been working with walnut. It machines well, watch for tearout when planing. Finishes very nice.
Dave

what I'm meaning to say.

Depending of the project, and the wood. Generally soft or porous woods get a shellac seal coat unless the need staining. Sometimes I'll use a gel stain as well.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Fingers worked before brain did and sent too quick. I meant to ask about what you do to prep the walnut your working with. I just did a little table at the end of my hall. It looks ok, and it matches the living room furniture, to an extent. The walnut looks to be too grainy?? I'll try and get a close up picture posted over to ABPW and maybe you can better understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks.