reconditioning old machinery question

I've just been given an old (50+ years) drill press. It appears to be in great condition with little use, but the moving parts are sticky/gummed up. I want to dis-assemble and clean everything. What type of grease/oil should I use on the various parts? I suppose there are low-speed parts (quill w/splines, table crank, etc.) and high speed parts (input shaft w/bronze bushings). Lithium grease? Oil? What type/weight and where?

Thanks for all replies, Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Shaw

Hi Jerry. There are a couple of good sites for this.

is very good and may have a manual for your drill press that you can download. Wood magazine also has an old tool forum that I support. I like to use teflon grease where I use grease. Grease on any exposed surface is a bad idea as it attracts and holds dirt and grit. Look to see if there are grease fittings or oil wicks on anything. For a sliding surface, like the quill, try a dry lube like motorcycle chain lube. It dries to a slick surface that doesn't hold dirt. For any bearing surface, you need to figure out what the manufacturer intended.

Reply to
My Old Tools