Recommendations for places to buy hardwood online

Page 2 of 2
No, none of the yards sell rough lumber only planed with 1 edge straight line cut. They have a listed price that is competitive with, or higher, than internet sources. You pick put 15 boards and do all the board foot measurements and come up with a total of 100 board feet. Then you get to the front and they do the board foot measurements and come up with a total of 117 board feet and charge you the advertised price. When questioned about the board footage, the person at the cash registers explains that the 17% is for shrinkage during kiln drying and for straight edge ripping.
Personally, I thought that getting a board that was 3/4" thick while paying for 1" lumber already covered the shrinkage during kiln drying. I also would prefer a board that was not straight line ripped because I use most boards in 3' o4 4' lengths and they straight line rip an 8', 10' or 12' board which wastes a lot more material. However, it is not an option to get boards that are not straight line ripped.
I was able to buy wood from Hartzell and have it shipped to Georgia and save over $1 a board foot and actually get a board foot that measure 7/8" X 12" X 12".
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

I would think so. Why not just make the price 17% higher to begin with if that is what they want to sell it for. Do they supply the Vaseline or do you have to bring your own? ;)
Thanks for the explanation.
Local hardwood dealer I USED to deal with added 50% for "shrinkage" and I shared my opinion! Got a shrug when I asked "Why not add it to selling price?".

of
Just curious, what was your bad experience with West Penn? Was it the product or the shipping? I've had good luck with them, but they're only 50mi. away, so I shop in person.
--
Nahmie
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:07:12 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

My first order had quality issues. Some cups, bows and warps. I phoned them and was told it would be made up in my next order. Several weeks after I called in another order and reminded them of their promise to make up for the poor quality of the first. I was told the order would go out within the next 2 days. I'm only 2 UPS days away from them so when I did not receive the order nearly 2 weeks later I phoned again. I was told that they had a person out sick for a few days and my order was 'probably lost'. Canceled the order and purchased through Hardwood Store of Carolina.

OK. Thanks for the answer. As I said, I shop in person, so it's a different situation.
--
Nahmie

HI Tom, The $15 would be the "handling" part of shipping and handling. This basically covers cutting everything to help reduce shipping expences saving the customer more than $15 but costing us that or more in time and waste. I'm going to give you one example. Someone orders 10 bf of brown ash which was on sale for a year @ $1.60. That's $16. My profit should be about $7. I pay someone to take it out of the bin, rip it to size, and take it to the mail. That's $4 in wages minus the footage I paid the farmer, cutter, skidder, trucker, sawyer, and dry kiln. Not to mention, I never have actually charged that when it comes down to it. I also havn't been paid for samples either. It just helps weed out the people who want you to build a kit for them and send them free wood. Hope you understand my side. Jana
On 1 Sep 2004 07:13:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) someone said:

Jana, I do understand your side so why not increase your prices a bit to allow for your overhead? $1.60 is a great price for brown ash, but the buyer pays more than the $1.60 after the 'handling' charge is tacked on. If I go to the grocery store in response to an ad for an item at a low price, I do not expect to be charged additional for the bag in which my items are placed or for having the packer pack my items. From what I've read here in this Forum, Hartzell is an honest, reliable resource for woodworkers. I have no reason to doubt that but the handling charge kinda sticks in my craw. As for the sample seekers, I leave that up to your business acumen to weed them out and/or charge them accordingly. Possibly you could charge for samples and then deduct those charges from future order? Legit purchasers should not have to underwrite the samples.

that's in the US. surprised the heck out of me when i was charged for bags in stockholm the first time i went into the grocery store.

TomL wrote:
[snip]

The small lot charge is displayed right up front for all to see. If you order a larger shipment (perhaps to share with other local wooddorkers) the charge goes away.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Hi Tom, Your suggestion regarding samples is actually our policy. I just think it's stupid to double handle money so I continue to blow off the charge and send them out. Back to the handling charge thing. I've been spending hours every day going through emails from people who send me their project list, down to every last detail, and either want me to figure out the footage for them or tell me what the footage is, right down to the decimal point for exactly what the order is. Either way, it's these people who don't understand the concept of waste, so I have to explain that to them. By the time it's all said and done, they don't order anyway. I'm still willing to take the time but it but it can't be all I do. There are companies like Rockler, Woodcraft, Paxtons, who make their money by processing and selling small amounts. I know because I cash checks from them. The prices on my site are for s2s, which should tell people that we mainly sell volume. I have to run my business thinking in the thousands...not singles. I have 30 people who depend on my business to make, at least, a portion of their living off to think about, too. To respond to your price change on small orders...I don't run my business like that. Same price for everything unless you're talking truck loads. If I have a deal to offer, I put it out there for everyone. I don't have all those hidden charges. I don't even charge/deduct for shrinkage. I don't charge a flat $20 just to turn on the planer when someone wants something planed. If a customer comes in and wants to sort his own lumber...there's the pack ~take what you want~ and stack it back like you found it...and the list goes on. ~ I really don't know how to sum this up, so I'll just end here. Jana
www.gilmerwood.com
Never bought anything from them (yet!) but they do have some beautiful wood. Downside is you have to order a minimum of $100 worth, and some of their prices seem kind of high (Then again, it's probably not that high for what they sell)
jtpr wrote:

http://www.bristolvalley.com /
Purchase wood from them on several occasions. Very prompt and high quality. Normally get 25bf of ash for $79 INCLUDING shipping via UPS.
Ron

of