Recommendations for Corded Drill

Page 1 of 2
Lots of selections, out there, and I haven't shopped for a corded drill for 20+ years.
One with no chuck key is preferable, 1/2" chuck capacity, under $100, but willing to pay $150 for a good reliable drill.
Bought a keyed B&D at a garage sale, looked newish, but the trigger often sticks, frustrating to work with! Looking for something more dependable, with no systemic mis/malfunctions, as with this B&D, to contend with.
Thanks. Sonny

Open it up and clean it.
dadiOH
On 6/10/2013 3:38 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Or if the switch really is faulty rather than just dirty, Ace and various other hdwe places have pretty good selection of replacement switches...

america where you can purchace the PROPER switch for the drill. What ever you do DO NOT McGuiver a different switch into the drill. It's a safety thing.
On 6/11/2013 10:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Which will charge $20+ for the same $3-4 switch that can find in the power tool repair selection kit at a well-stocked Ace...

Nonsense. A replacement switch is a replacement switch...

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70953591&sr=8-2&keywords=Milwaukee+hole+shooter
On 6/11/2013 7:28 AM, Leon wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70953591&sr=8-2&keywords=Milwaukee+hole+shooter

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70956536&sr=8-10&keywords=milwaukee+keyless
On 6/11/2013 8:16 AM, Leon wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70956536&sr=8-10&keywords=milwaukee+keyless

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70956628&sr=1-1&keywords=milwaukee+keyless+1%2F2%22

There good work horses mine is at least 20 years old. Milwaulkie was pretty much what you found in every electrical supply house. It even has a keyless chuck the old hammer type. Still works as good as ever.
Mike M
In wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70953591&sr=8-2&keywords=Milwaukee+hole+shooter +1 Keyless or not, the magnum is one bad mofo. I would take it over any keyless drill anyday. Word of caution though, that sucker willl rip yer arm off if ya ain't careful<g>
On 6/11/2013 4:45 PM, ChairMan wrote:

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:05:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

ot, the magnum is one bad mofo. > I would take it over any keyless drill an yday. > Word of caution though, that sucker willl rip yer arm off if ya ain 't > careful<g> > > Yes it will!
This one, at Home Depot, looks good.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-8-0-Amp-1-2-in-Magnum-Drill-0302-20/10 0020660?N=zv#product_description
but I'll consider the keyed one, also.
Thanks. Sonny
On 6/12/2013 8:26 AM, Sonny wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70953591&sr=8-2&keywords=Milwaukee+hole+shooter > > +1 > Keyless or not, the magnum is one bad mofo. > I would take it over any keyless drill anyday. > Word of caution though, that sucker willl rip yer arm off if ya ain't > careful<g> > > Yes it will!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-8-0-Amp-1-2-in-Magnum-Drill-0302-20/100020660?N=zv#product_description

FWIW, My current corded drill is a 20+ year old DeWalt, I do not use it much anynore, in earlier years I screwed down all the decking and bracing to a deck like walkway, probably 200' x 3' with the DeWalt and used it with my Kreg PH Jig.
Then eventually came the Makita drill and impact that pretty much replaced the corded drill.
Got the Festool T15 18 months ago and have not used the impact in probably 18 months. The Festool T15 is surprisingly way much stronger than the 12 volt Makita and performs the same jobs that the impact did.
Anyway if I were to replace the DeWalt it would be with the Milwaukee. Swingman has one that I have used and that thing is unstoppable, so to speak.
I got a model like the 1/2" model in hammer drill and it is great to have. Large enough chuck to handle what ever I put in it.
I have a full size hammer drill but needed a corded drill - opted for a hammer (optional use) drill for use on wood or cement...
Martin
On 6/12/2013 8:26 AM, Sonny wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)70953591&sr=8-2&keywords=Milwaukee+hole+shooter > > +1 > Keyless or not, the magnum is one bad mofo. > I would take it over any keyless drill anyday. > Word of caution though, that sucker willl rip yer arm off if ya ain't > careful<g> > > Yes it will!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-8-0-Amp-1-2-in-Magnum-Drill-0302-20/100020660?N=zv#product_description

On 6/11/2013 9:05 PM, Leon wrote:

Lefty ;-)
On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:13:28 AM UTC-5, jo4hn wrote:

=Milwaukee+hole+shooter >>> >> >> +1 >> Keyless or not, the magnum is one bad mofo. >> I would take it over any keyless drill anyday. >> Word of cau tion though, that sucker willl rip yer arm off if ya ain't >> careful<g> >> >> > Yes it will! +1 Lefty ;-)
My local Home Depot didn't have the keyless in stock, so I got the keyed on e, Model 0299-20, for $119, $10 cheaper than Amazon.
Lefty, aye? Reminded me of the song "Pancho and Lefty" by Willie and Merle -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxzJAF1BxP4

I've had a Makita HP1501 for about ten years now. Been real happy with it.
I don't think it's made any more, but the HP1641 looks similar.
On 6/11/2013 4:07 AM, Sonny wrote:

sticks, frustrating to work with! Looking for something more dependable, with no systemic mis/malfunctions, as with this B&D, to contend with.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3-8-in-Drill-6407/202517722#.UbdCq9gQTpc
or
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 04:07:28 -0700, Sonny wrote:

I bought one of these several years ago - no problems yet:
<http://www.reconditionedtools.com/factory-reconditioned- bosch-1005vsrk-46-3-8-in-5-5-amp-drill-with-keyless-chuck/ bshr1005vsrk-46,default,pd.html?start=9&cgid=bosch-drills>
carrying a cross.

Don't waste your time with anything less than Milwaukee, if you want quality.
Jim in NC