Recommend Repair Please?

The water heater is more of an issue. I took a few cold showers--not too bad until the cold water trickles down your back! Have your wife stand on a step ladder with a watering can full of stove-heated water until you have it replaced. Household things seem to break at the same time. :(

As I washed my face with a cold wash cloth, I was just thinking about the "good ole days" when somebody also had to go out and pump the cold water from a well! The cold shave didn't both me much this morning either. Sort of makes me feel like a pioneer! : )
In case anyone is sitting on the edge of their seat concerning the leak in the GD: Water was coming (now) from a pin-hole sized hole in the J-B Weld stuff. I could not have formed such a perfect hole without actually using a pin. Considering I started a hole I described as 1/6 the size of a dime, I'm making progress. Whipped up and applied a 3rd batch. I'll post the results after the 15 hours set time in case anyone is wagering. ; ) Thanks again! --Bill

I had used Gorilla tape to hold down an extension cord to the concrete garage floor (unheated garage in SW Pennsylvania). Didn't expect the tape to hold up with even light foot traffic. 3 years later, I had an extremely difficult time getting the tape off the floor. That damn tape held better than anything I've ever seen!
I'll vote JB Weld Too. The motor/gearbox casting of my old faithful Ryobi surface planer have been held together for six months ago. I would guess they get a more stringent workout than a disposal (but maybe not as frequently). Don't be sparing with the stuff. A controlled glob is probably in order.
RonB

Go to your hardware store and get some JB Weld or a roll of a two part epoxy used on plastic and metal pipes (can't think of the name of it)
Bob S.

"BobS" wrote:

The only thing I'll add is to take a rasp, file or coarse sand paper (60 grit) and roughen up the plastic around the ding to provide a surface the epoxy can grab onto and provide a secure patch.
Lew

New disposal.

If it is the plastic outer case, I'd do nothing. Many disposals have a plastic outer covering that is there for style and to cover some insulation and perhaps wire to the switch. In that case, just leave it or put a piece of duct tape over it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Doing nothing", is not an option as plenty of water quickly finds it's way to the hole. Maybe there is more to the story then meets the eye. I'll post the "conclusion" later. Thanks! -Bill

Bondo.

I take back my recommendation of "Bondo" if there is potential for a leak. If you try an epoxy and/or it leaks, replace the disposal.
It's a good idea to put one of these inexpensive water alarms under there http://tinyurl.com/ya9os9f

Here's a laugh for you--I couldn't make this stuff up...
After 2 more applications of J-B Weld, the GD most definitely DOES NOT leak. We gave it the big test today: the GB no longer works...
The unit had pretty poor reviews at Amazon.com (known for rusted blades and cracked case, probably related).
Was thinking about upgrading too it's bigger cousin ("Evolution", #74028),
(Amazon.com product link shortened)54182219&sr=1-1-spell
This choice offers the advantage of not needing to replace/reinstall the parts which hold it up to the sink. But I would consider other suggestions as this is for a second kitchen sink, which is barely used at all, not even once a week. In that light, $176 seems like a lot. My wife says we don't even need a GD there...but at least the one that is there doesn't leak.
By the way, the man who was supposed to replace the hot water heater on Friday, and again today, called today to say he was at the hospital with his wife (heart issue). I was as sensitive as can be, but gee-whiz.... He's supposed to come tomorrow.
I'm enjoying being a homeowner, though it's taking longer to clear the garage floor than I expected. Maybe it will make me feel better if I go buy a few clamps?
Bill