Re: Woodworking Roadblocks

*snip: Wood acquistion and hoarding story*

Sharing the garshop with a "family room" concept. (Fortuately, it's almost all mine. Unfortunately, it's almost all mine.)
The second one is simply not having a heated place to use the table saw, so I've got to wait until the weather's nice enough to use it.

Wait until we move again.
Wait until the weather warms up.

About 6 months or less.
On a weekend or during "end of winter break."

Puckdropper

At the moment I am not aware of a road block in my shop.
But, If I had your problem I would consider renting a small storage unit to store those great finds in.
Leon wrote:

And be separated from them? Surely you jest! A major advantage of Wood Hording are the spontaneous projects inspired by a Stroll Through The Stash.
charlie b
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:27:59 GMT, "Leon"

That would be like twin beds.
wrote: <<< Snip Charlie's tale of Woe >>>

I've got the perfect solution for you- I don't have enough wood, so I'll be happy to free up some room in your shop for you! :)

Currently it's a headache from banging my head on the desk after reading all your gloats strung together in one long gloat-a-thon.

Sleep.
Pretty soon.
I don't know where all these people with the free/cheap wood deals are. I suspect they're with the people with the good used woodworking equipment that they need to get rid of having a grand ol time.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

It's been so long since I had a wood gloat that I no longer believe in them. Pretty much what happened with the Tooth Fairy, too, IIRC.
Right now I wish the wood fairy would gide me to a really super deal on some 1/2 or 3/4 Baltic / Finnish birch plywood or, better yet, some nice solid stock in those approximate dimensions.
<---- trundling off to go find that set of plans for the bandsaw table and resaw fence I saw somewhere around here. I guess it's time to give that nasty twisty piece of birdseye maple I got from Woodcraft a chance to redeem itself. I am not even certain the stuff is straight enough to use for firewood.
<---------- REAL slow to buy wood from Woodcraft these days. Got burned twice in a row. Finally got most of that walnut bow material used ... 6" and much belt sanding ... at a time.
Bill
rascal less in the world.
Bill in Detroit wrote:

It's all about networking. The more people keeping an eye and an ear out for wood and woodworking tools, the greater the chances of becoming aware of a deal. Clubs can be an excellent way to network.
Also helps to have maybe a grand of Wild Hare money around - deals don't last long and cash can sometimes reduce the price even more.

No cabinet shops in Detroit? Cabinet shops often have to pay to dispose of cut offs and are more than willing to let you take it - if you take it all, on a semi-regular basis

This might work for you http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/Resaw/Resawing1.html
charlie b

A couple of online places to check for possible deals (US):
Is there a FreeCycle group in your area? www.freecycle.org The concept of FreeCycle is to keep useable items out of landfills. You're more likely to find old furniture than pristime wood, but you never know what might be available from tools to office equipment (desks, bookcases). I have an ancient but functional LaserJet III printer and a desktop copier that came from FreeCycle - great for printing manuals from PDF's and for printing small plans to scale. Freecycle recently had used tin roofing and oak 2x4 framing (chicken house tear-down, probably not for those with sensitive noses).
Is craigslist active in your area? www.craigslist.org There are wanted, for sale, and free sections (there were more than 50 new 5' x 7' oak pallets listed in the free section the other evening - I was too late :-( The for sale section in the Atlanta area has a tools section that puts all tools in the same listing, from saws to routers to generators (175KW trailer mounted unit, anyone?) to tractors and forklifts. Last week craigslist had the materials (flooring, trim, etc) in a 103 year old house that was to be demolished.
In the networking area, make it known if you're willing to help with demo jobs in exchange for materials - I saw a set of cherry kitchen cabinets that someone else had gotten when an older house was to be demolished so a new one could be built on the lot.
John

Unfortunately, the FreeCycle groups in my area have turned into beg-a-thons for eBay sellers.
It's a shame, it was a good idea while it lasted.
B A R R Y wrote:

Ditto ... unless you have a good use for 3 left over jars of strained carrots. The little size.
The wood I have gotten from Freecycle was donated to avoid the effort of throwing away logs that were too punky and insect filled to burn... by people with fireplaces.
I DID get a microwave for drying wood once. And some used tights for tying my tomatoes up. (And donated a boot load of tomatoe plants / veggies.) But the beg-a-thon (from people with nothing to offer in return) got to be waaaaay over the top.
Bill
rascal less in the world.

Yours too?
That's too bad.
I gave away my old pine dining room set to a real nice family. A few tools I didn't have use for, some firewood, an old laptop (not that old, it ran Win 2000), and some bike parts also went to good homes on FC.
I picked up a printing calculator! <G>
Dave Jackson wrote:

Third times a charm. Keep trying.
And efficiency is seriously over rated.
charlie b

Boy, you are not kidding there. While I understand that life is hectic, and not everyone has the amount of time they'd like (myself included) to spend in their own shop, it's hard for me to understand why someone doing this for fun feels the need to work as quickly and efficiently as a factory assembly line.
My rule of thumb is- Sure, I could whack it together with pocket screws in a half-hour, but why do that when I could spend a few weeks whittling? Fast is for when you don't want to do something and rather have it done and gone, or when your livelyhood depends on it. Part of the charm of the home shop for me is that I can putz all I like, and nobody can say a word about it.