Re: Why are plywood plugs oval shaped?

Page 1 of 2

If you're talking about the "footballs" they use in plywood repairs, my guess would be physics. A circular plug would be able to spin, while a oval shaped one would not. This eliminates one more dimension the plug is able to move, hopefully producing a slightly stronger joint.
It could also be that most repairs they need to make tend to be longer than they are wide. By using an oval shaped plug, they can give you more of the good grain and less plug.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

I don't know about that one... <G>

There is less waste. You have less waste from the material it comes from than if it was a circle. If they were square there would be even less waste. Additionally they can cover a wider area, perhaps 3 small defects in a line more easily than a circle with out having to be made too large.

I seem to recall someone telling me it was all about grain orientation. The 'less waste' angle seems plausible as well.
On Tue, 6 May 2008 23:24:00 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools

Cause it's in the standard. "Boat" veneer patches are described and have a maximum dimension, length, width and end radius in the standard for manufacturing plywood.
Please don't ask me how the standard became the standard.
Frank

Now I'm curious how the standard became the standard. You insiduous bastard!!

When the Romans invaded Spain, the Spanish were making plywood from Spanish Cedar. All of the plugs were oval because the Moors had not yet invaded Spain and given the circle to the Spanish. The Romans took the oval plug home and it became the Roman Army Standard for plywood plugs. And, just as with the guage of railroads, the Roman Army standard is in effect to this day.

Now, *that* was good!

Thank you, Cliff, for that insightful explanation. So, Norm, how's Vera been treating you?
On Wed, 07 May 2008 23:07:13 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Of course! I knew there had to be a simple and plausible explanation.
Reply-to address is real John
John wrote:

It's not as unlikely as it sounds. The Romans did know how to make plywood--they used it for their shields.
--John

Leather covered, IIRC. Then there is the composite bow ...
And the railroad gauge story is not entirely implausible. The current standard gauge being the width of two horse's backsides. :)
On Sat, 10 May 2008 12:11:14 -0400, "J. Clarke"

And therefor the oval shaped plugs - to patch the speer and lance holes.
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Nah, they got those from Spain. There's no word in Latin for o"oval plywood plug" but,
There's a word in Spanish ...

So that it fits in the oval hole.
Cam

Bananas are bent so they fit in the peel for the exact same reason.
RE: Subject
Everybody/everything gotta be someplace so they fit in.
Lew

Bananas are bent because someone forgot to finish the back side and they warp.

Bananas are bent so they fit in the peel for the exact same reason.
They created straight bananas. No bend, no curves. They fit into shipping crates better and they could pack more of them into each box. That didn't last long. Nobody bought the bananas. People are funny that way. They want a curved banana, not a straight one.
Lee Michaels wrote:

There are certain uses to which a curved banana is better suited.
--John