Re: When Is A Half Inch Dowel Not A Half Inch Dowel?

Good to see there are people out there that is following my motto: Make do, get by or do without.

I've done the same thing to make dowels but instead of a steel plate I used a half or three quarter piece of oak with the appropriate size hole drilled in it. The hole gets larger after a few inches of dowel pounding but it is easy enough to dill another one.

KP

The work bench I've been building for what seems like > forever will have a shoulder vise (the bench that looks > like an "L"). The legs for the shoulder vise end is > a smidge under 36 inches long, the doors to the "quiet > clean side" of the shop are 24 and 26 inches wide. SO - > since this beast is going in the "noisy, less clean side" > of the shop, and just in case I can't be buried in > my Japanese garden and have to move, I've got to make > the legs removable. > > Since the stretchers are through tenons the obvious, > reversible solution is to draw peg the tenons in > their through mortises in the legs. Picked up some > half inch dowels, walnut and maple. A pair in each > M&T joint should do it. > > Came time to do a test joint and SURPRISE! - one dowel > was 0.484 - 0.492 inches in diameter and the other > 0.508 - 0.510 inches. No lathe so now what? > > Then I remember seeing a steel plate with a range of > hole diameters for making "round" dowels round in one > of the many catalogs which appear magically in my > mail box on a regular basis. Being 10 pm on a > Saturday night, the idea of a) finding the catalog > and b) waiting 'til Monday to order one of these > specialized tools then waiting 'til Wednesday or > Thursday to get it didn't seem acceptable. > > If only that plastic drill gauge The Handy Man > Club sent me were steel ... Wait a minute - > I picked up one of those steel ones at a garage > sale and, forgetting I had one, bought another > one at a woodworking show a few years later. > Best of all, I knew exactly where both were - > in the wall hanging tool cabinet, in the weird > drawer in front of the #6 - with the cabinet > scrapers and the funny looking Veritas cabinet > scraper burnisher. Went right to them - amazing > (you'd have to see the shop to appreciate just > how amazing). > > Do you remember those kids workbenches with the > holes, the pegs and the hammer? Well it was > just like that. Cut a dowel a little longer > than needed, beveled one end with sand paper and > pound away, each dowel driven through by the > next one. > > You ever wonder why woodworking drill bit sets > come in increments of 64ths when "all you'll > ever use is 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and half inch"? Round > pegs - that's why. > > Now I've got to decide if I want them to go > / \ or \ / > \ / / \ > > Before assuming your half inch dowels are in fact > half inch dowels, get a drill bit gauge and surprise > yourself - then make them round and a diameter you > have a drill bit for. Just a suggestion. > > charlie b > > BTW - if you want to see the progress on Das Bench > go here - you can back up to the beginning if you're > curios > all one line >
Kevin Preston