Re: What is it? LXIV

* snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

I also thought so, but "amazing" and "not familiar with" didn't sound right.

Rythm counter? Speed measurment device?
--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto: snipped-for-privacy@ifi.uio.no

I think it's a sensor you place on your finger, such as one measuring the amount of oxygen in your blood, or perhaps pulse, or blood pressure.

It might be a crude slot cutter, or else a knob.

363: Periscope
364: Pressure gauge, ancestor of the pencil-type tire gauge.
365: Clamp
366: Wing-type corkscrew, derided by "Wine for Dummies"
367: Pulse monitor
368: It's a toothed wheel with a screw through it, isolated from the head by a rubber washer. As for what it's made for... dunno
369: Crimping tool
result in a fully-depreciated one.
369. Nut cracker.
On 3 Jun 2005 00:40:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Here's a bathroom cabinet I made recently. http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/cabinets/swarf /
Note the mirrors.

    Nice. You even have a partial image of you in the "jet mirror", showing the expected reversal (as indicated by the finger pushing the shutter release).
    The "jet mirror" -- is that mounted in a ring into which turbine blades dovetail? Ir is it a ring gear of some sort?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 3 Jun 2005 17:53:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

That's one of the little ones. I've made several.
That particular one is just a knife-edge seal - the diagonal bars round the edge hold it in place and there are a couple of sharp rings on the inside edge to form the seal. Some of the others are "stator" rings - static vanes at the end of the compresor stage.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/mirrors / (new selling site is under development - visit the market stall if you're in Bristol)

    Thanks.
    I presume that these were pulled from over-time engines?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
#363 - Can be used to make an interferometer.
--

Dan

tool?
Yes, the handle is meant to push down, though the jaws don't close very much when it is depressed, I posted a photo of it in this position on the answer page.
Rob
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:03:36 +0000, R.H. wrote:

I'm terribly disappointed here. The original says: 368. 1-1/2" long, thanks to Elijah for this photo, it's a tool he made for a very specific purpose. What is it and what was it made for?
Well, yeah, OK, saw blade, albeit a pretty cruddy one, but _what was it made FOR?_ i.e. what was that specific purpose?
Don't tease. ;-)
Thanks, Rich
_what

I was going to leave this as a "cliffhanger" until next week, but if you really want to know I guess I can spill it now. Here is the description that Elijah provided to me:
"This is a saw for a depth controlled cut of plastic, specifically for cutting open a "wall wart" without damaging the transformer inside. I needed to resolder the output wires after they broke at the edge of the box. I put this in the chuck of a drill press, turned it on, then moved the transformer box around to cut it open along the existing seam."