Re: What is it? LXIV

  • snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com
363 Periscope

I also thought so, but "amazing" and "not familiar with" didn't sound right.

367 Chronographic Device? - Stopwatch?

Rythm counter? Speed measurment device?

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

I think it's a sensor you place on your finger, such as one measuring the amount of oxygen in your blood, or perhaps pulse, or blood pressure.

It might be a crude slot cutter, or else a knob.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

363: Periscope

364: Pressure gauge, ancestor of the pencil-type tire gauge.

365: Clamp

366: Wing-type corkscrew, derided by "Wine for Dummies"

367: Pulse monitor

368: It's a toothed wheel with a screw through it, isolated from the head by a rubber washer. As for what it's made for... dunno

369: Crimping tool
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Here's a bathroom cabinet I made recently.

the mirrors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

#363 - Can be used to make an interferometer.

Reply to
D Murphy

Yes, the handle is meant to push down, though the jaws don't close very much when it is depressed, I posted a photo of it in this position on the answer page.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm terribly disappo368. 1-1/2" long, thanks to Elijah for this photo, it's a tool he made for a very specific purpose. What is it and what was it made for?

Well, yeah, OK, saw blade, albeit a pretty cruddy one, but _what was it made FOR?_ i.e. what was that specific purpose?

Don't tease. ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

_what

I was going to leave this as a "cliffhanger" until next week, but if you really want to know I guess I can spill it now. Here is the description that Elijah provided to me:

"This is a saw for a depth controlled cut of plastic, specifically for cutting open a "wall wart" without damaging the transformer inside. I needed to resolder the output wires after they broke at the edge of the box. I put this in the chuck of a drill press, turned it on, then moved the transformer box around to cut it open along the existing seam."

Reply to
R.H.

Nice. You even have a partial image of you in the "jet mirror", showing the expected reversal (as indicated by the finger pushing the shutter release).

The "jet mirror" -- is that mounted in a ring into which turbine blades dovetail? Ir is it a ring gear of some sort?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's one of the little ones. I've made several.

That particular one is just a knife-edge seal - the diagonal bars round the edge hold it in place and there are a couple of sharp rings on the inside edge to form the seal. Some of the others are "stator" rings - static vanes at the end of the compresor stage.

selling site is under development - visit the market stall if you're in Bristol)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks.

I presume that these were pulled from over-time engines?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols