Re: T & G Problem

Set the bit height so that the tongue or groove (depending on which bit you're using) is at the desired height (probably centered on your stock). Cut the profile as you normally would (I'm assuming you're using a router table, which is the only way I've used a T&G bit set). Then you can use any good mortising bit of the correct diameter to remove any material remaining that would interfere with the joint. From the tongued boards it is very simple, just remove the small lip of wood above and below the tongue. The grooved boards is more tricky, but using the tongued boards as a guide should allow you to set the bit height just right (this is how I did it). It's not the most elegant approach, but it worked.

Now that I have a Unisaw and a very good stacked dado set, that's the way I make T & G joints now. It is much easier and more straightforward than using the router set, IMO.

Mike

I'm making rail and stile panel doors but just want to use a standard > 1/4" groove for the panel to fit into. This means of course, that the > ends of the rails will require a tongue. My problem is this. How do > you cut the tongue when the material is over 3/4" thick since the > cutters on my bits for tongue & groove are only 3/4" in height? > > When I look up T & G bits they all seem to be 3/4" in height. Am I > wrong? Is there another method for doing this or can I find bits that > can cut an inch or so of material and still have a 1/4" tongue & groove. > > Thanks for any assistance. > > Glen Duff > >
Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Glen, One way I use is to cut the groves for the panels on the rails and styles first. I do this with the TS. To insure that the groove is perfectly centered, run each piece 2 times and switch ends when making the second cut. I then use a wide straight bit in my router table to cut each side of the stubb tennon in the ends of the rails. Practice on exact thickness scraps until the stubb tennons fit into the groves. Remember to cut the rails long enough to begin with to make up for the length of the tennons that will disappear in the groves.of the styles.

Reply to
Leon

try

Smokey