Re: T & G Problem

Set the bit height so that the tongue or groove (depending on which bit you're using) is at the desired height (probably centered on your stock). Cut the profile as you normally would (I'm assuming you're using a router table, which is the only way I've used a T&G bit set). Then you can use any good mortising bit of the correct diameter to remove any material remaining that would interfere with the joint. From the tongued boards it is very simple, just remove the small lip of wood above and below the tongue. The grooved boards is more tricky, but using the tongued boards as a guide should allow you to set the bit height just right (this is how I did it). It's not the most elegant approach, but it worked.
Now that I have a Unisaw and a very good stacked dado set, that's the way I make T & G joints now. It is much easier and more straightforward than using the router set, IMO.
Mike

Glen, One way I use is to cut the groves for the panels on the rails and styles first. I do this with the TS. To insure that the groove is perfectly centered, run each piece 2 times and switch ends when making the second cut. I then use a wide straight bit in my router table to cut each side of the stubb tennon in the ends of the rails. Practice on exact thickness scraps until the stubb tennons fit into the groves. Remember to cut the rails long enough to begin with to make up for the length of the tennons that will disappear in the groves.of the styles.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:12:30 -0400, Glen Duff

try http://www.right-tool.com/noname23.html
/// Smokey http://www.machlink.com/~allenbaugh/wood/woodstuff.htm http://www.machlink.com/~allenbaugh /