Re: Standard dimensions and proportions

Now compare with "measured drawings" of colonial furniture, and you'll find out why you don't want to copy them.
I think the "standard" for bathroom fixtures and kitchen counters is due for an upward revision. Or perhaps it's my aging back.

What is the source (or date) of the anthropometric data he use's? Much of what I see is based on much smaller people than now seem to be around.
Phil
K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

I don't know what data he uses, but most of the large, up-to-date data sets come from military personnel around the world. I haven't looked for a long time, but recent data sets may be difficult to find for free. Try http://iac.dtic.mil/hsiac/index.htm
This is the Defense Technical Information Center website for HSIAC (Human Systems Information Analysis Center). They disseminate technical information relating to human factors (including anthropometric data) to the DOD, private organizations, and individuals.
Brian
Brian Mahaney wrote:

http://hfetag.dtic.mil/docs/mil-std-1472f.pdf and http://hfetag.dtic.mil/docs/mil-hdbk-759c.pdf
Both very good references that would cost a bunch if they were commercial publications. The data in them is updated every few years.
Rico

Excellent documents. Not much direct anthropometric data, but there are some good dimensional guidelines for things like workstations and storage units, etc. For the average woodworker these guidelines would probably be of more use any way. Using the anthropometric data directly would take a lot of extra work. A while back it was difficult to find mil std 1472 online. It is now easily obtainable.
Brian