Re: questions on switching from 1/2x8 to 1/2 x 6 beveled cedar siding?

Doh. A correction on this is that it looks like I actually have 3/4 x 8 rather than 1/2 x 8 boards. All the same questions still apply, though.
thanks,
doug
snipped-for-privacy@velvetbuzzsaw.com (Doug) wrote in message

4" is traditional on the clapboarded capes that defined older New England homes.

Burn it.

If you're lucky, time and moisture have loosened the nails. If you're really fortunate, the installer nailed into sheathing and not studs. Worst case, it will come off in damaged, broken pieces.
If it came off easy and you denailed it well, you might have some luck resurfacing the clean backside on a thickness planed. You'd want to build a jig to present the surface parallel to the knives. It's going to be a significant time investment (20 square of siding @ 4" coverage = 6000 lf. One planer pass, one ripping pass). A fast "suitcase" planer and a sixpack of replacable knives = $600.00 or so.
I think you'll need a six pack of something beside knives after doing this task.
Phil