RE: O/T: Software

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Each OS has it's place. But the world is trending away from windows on the mobile. Windows is a hog, with way too much that never should have been in the kernel. In mobile devices power consumption is key and *nix devices are way ahead in that as well as being leaner.

What does Task Manager show is running that might be conflicting? Does the 'not responding' go away if you close (X) the message and just wait a minute to try again? I can do the same if I open 3 different windows with about 20 tabs open on each with sites like amazon. It starts when about 3.5 G of virtual memory is used. A tad more info is required - like does it always do it or only sometimes, what else is running, did it just start, and what have you changed/added? Presuming that during that hour or so it's going into some sort of sleep state, what if you open to a blank page and walk off after just rebooting (nothing else having been run)?

-J

Looking for some guidance.

Running FireFox on XP.

Can minimize FireFox with no problem.

When I restore from the minimize position after some period of time, usually an hour or so, get a complaint that FireFox is not responding.

This requires that I close out FireFox, then reload and things are hunky-dory.

Any ideas where to start to solve this problem?

Lew

Reply to
Joe

IKWYABWAI is about your speed.

Reply to
krw

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

So what? I don't care for Windows but I really have no choice. That was the whole point!

Reply to
krw

I haven't been following this whole thread, so whatever your point was, was missed.

Linux is not the Linux of even a few years ago.

Linux desktop and driver support has gotten quite good. It installs easier than windows and can run Open Office, which is arguably a great, and free competitor to Office. Open Office reads all MS types. I have on occasion used it to open a new MS file type that my 2007 Office didn't like. Applications, not apps, install easily and seamlessly over the internet.

Ports of various Linux distros are available for many devices that run Android. It some cases this can be as simple as booting from a memory card.

You can even run a version of Linux, and the Applications, on a $30 device like the Raspberry Pi.

And, you can even run Linux on your Windows desktop as a program. Just a download, click, and install, and run it out of Windows.

So, perhaps not on *your* phone. But possible on your tablet. If it has the roots of a Linux kernel, the device can most likely run a Linux distro easily. Note that the MS Surface RT is not Windows.

You probably have no need to run Linux, but the foundation it has laid is powering most of mobile, most of the internet, and has possibilities that Windows just can't do.

Sheesh indeed.

Jeff

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Unless you're talking about an employer forcing you to use Windows at work, you've got lots of choices. Several flavors of Linux, OS X, at least two flavors of Unix, and probably one or two oddballs I've forgotten.

BTW, Linux Mint was designed specifically for Windows users, not computer nerds. Try it for free.

There is one caveat on Linux. I have not yet found a free CAD for Linux that I like. And I don't need one often enough to spring for one of the commercial ones. So on the rare occasion that I need CAD, I reboot into XP (with networking disabled) and run TurboCad. If my use increases one of these days I'll get it running under Wine or VirtualBox so I don't have to reboot.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Of course. There are none so blind as a true believer.

Also completely irrelevant.

Reply to
krw

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

Reply to
krw

Clearly, you've made up your mind to believe what you believe.

Go, live in your own world.

Jeff

This Linux software, it that for those that can't figure Windows out?

;~) Duck'n n run'n

Reply to
Leon

Clearly you can neither read nor think.

You really are a moron.

Reply to
krw

Nah, it's just another religion. The true believers must evangelize whenever anyone says anything that even tangentially refers to their true calling. They can't even read, only evangelize.

Chicken!

Reply to
krw

Are you through trolling yet?

Was your mother scared by a penguin?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Linux is a GUI-based version of UNIX, which has been around longer than Windows. Main advantages are (1) it's free, and (b) it's not Microsoft.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Wow, what's up your ass about Linux? Linux is a fully capable O/S... many servers SUN/HP/IBM are now on LINUX vs their own version of software. Linux does not crash like MS. it's not hacked as regularly. If you prefer Mac or Windoze that's your thing. I use Win7 and Linux, and don't have a problem with it. But IDIOT??? no, he's probably smarter than most, being a user since 95 when it really had to be manually configured , shows that he is not an IDIOT...

Reply to
woodchucker

No, it's for those who don't mind trying out something different - kind of like sketchup ;-)

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Are you though evangelizing yet?

Typical.

Reply to
krw

Really, why not? You can easily use either a mac or linux. there's very little these days that isn't browser based or java based. So many apps run on all platforms.

Reply to
woodchucker

You're off your meds again aren't you? Damn, I'm going to have to call the looney bin again.

Reply to
woodchucker

I do keep an old XP box on the network for a couple of Windows apps - tax software and sketchup. Since the XP box is headless, I access it via VNC.

Everything else I need has choices of alternative apps for linux or on my Android tablet.

No more rebooting every few days, no strange freezes, no more having to buy new hardware (including software) at every major OS release, ...

I build my systems from barebones hardware so as to avoid the built-in price of Windows and to get exactly the hardware I want.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn