RE: O/T Shoe Survey

Page 1 of 2

A little survey.
I need a good pair of work shoes.
I wear them about 4-6 hours/day, 7 days a week.
In the past, have spent what I consider to be some serious money for work shoes.
Have purchased variou
I took a clue from my son who religiously buys the heavy Red Wings. He is a heavy construction superintendent who spends 8-10 hours a day on construction sites. Super or not, he still gets into shin-deep concrete and other grunge. He hoses them off as needed and keeps going.
With that said, he goes through a set of Red Wing boots every 4 to 6 months but says nothing else will come close. Years ago he started with a set of "street-hikers" that lasted about two weeks.
RonB

Well, concrete is hard on anything, leather included. I very much like my redwing safety shoes & boots.
A little survey.
I need a good pair of work shoes.
I wear them about 4-6 hours/day, 7 days a week.
In the past, have spent what I consider to be some serious money for work shoes.
Have purchased various brands in the past such as Red Wing & Leigh.
Regardless of the brand purchased, after about 6-8 months, shoes are beginning to show real wear.
If they last 12 months, it's a miracle.
Is this typical life for good work shoes or is it just me?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Lew

When I started working and standing on concrete day after day about 18 years ago nothing worked for me except Rockport shoes. I now buy Rockport HIKING water proof shoes and can wear them daily for about 4 years before they poop out. Well I don't usually wear them on weekends but all of my shoes are Rockport.
"Leon" wrote in message

years
HIKING
poop
Ditto ... but here lately, with all the walking I do on these aging dogs they're really starting to bark, I also buy a pair of ortho inserts and put them in immediately, _in addition_ to the Rockport's OEM inserts.
I used to not have to do that.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05
Swingman wrote:

Bought my first Rockports about 5 years ago, Bought some more about a year and a half later and again maybe 6 months ago. I still have the first pair, I've jsut bought more when the same/similar style was available in more colors or on sale.
THe oldest were made in the USA and have excellent arch support. The second set were made in Indonesia and were not as good. THe newest are made in Vietnam and have the worse arch support.
So, it may be that you have to put those inserts in because the shoes have been changing.
--

FF

You're probably right ... the last pair of brown walkers (MWT), bought just two months ago, are not as comfortable by far, and the style is being discontinued, or so said the salesman. I don't know where they were made.
The pair before that were made in China, and I am still wearing them, AAMOF as we speak.
I do like the looks of that Rockport style as they go well with khaki shorts during the work week, or khaki pants and blazer for those "formal" occasions (about as formal as I ever get these days).
Time to go to Ecco? The salesman at Nordstroms was pushing them real hard over Rockports.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

That's where I went, when the Rocks didn't do it any longer.
A bit spendy, but a successful builder like yourself ought to be able to scrape a bit out of the tooling budget for a couple pair. ;-)
Patriarch

It may depend greatly on the style. IIRC all of my Rockport's were made in China or from those parts and I have been wearing Rockport's exclusively since 1987. All of the pairs that I have bought have had great arch support. That said however 90% of my Rockport's have been an outdoors/ hiking type shoe. Oddly the shoes that did not hold up the best for me were the Prowalkers and I have not bought a pair in probably 12 years. The soles erased away on rough concrete after about 2 years of daily wear. I have had 3 pair of the same kind of hiking shoe starting about 10 years ago. Each pair has slowly failed on the leather uppers. That said however 5 years of water and mud is hard on the leather. I seriously doubt that country of origin has anything to do with how well the shoe is going to hold up. More likely, like anything else the standards that Rockport will allow in a particular shoe is the culprit.
Sounds familiar. Years ago, I started wearing Georgia boots. The first pair I bought were about the most comfortable boot I had ever worn, Were comfortable right off and just got better with a little break in. Every year and a half or so, I would buy a new pair (not bad life considering I work in a machine shop). After a time, it got so a new pair would make my feet kind of sore for the first couple of days then be fine. The last pair I bought, I could not stand to wear for a whole day. Never did get them broken in. This over about ten years. In that time, price never did go up, quality just went down. It is getting increasingly difficult to find workboots that are actually made to work in. Wearing Wolverines now. Not as good as the old Georgia's but the best I've found recently.

Read once that men buy two pairs of shoes per year, on average. So I'd guess that one pair of work shoes a year is pretty good.
I've had my Red Wing Irish Setters for about 20 years now, and they are still going strong. Of course, I only do yard work, but they've really held up.
On the other hand, my brother, the machinist, usually buys the cheapest comfortable boots he can get because those metal shavings slice cheap or expensive leather just the same.

For yard work I use a 14 year old pair of Rockport pro walkers. The soles were worn slick about 12 years ago as prowalker soles only hold up about 2 years on concrete. Any way the slick bottoms are great for yard work as they clean easily when you happen to step on a land mine. ;~)
The Rockport hiking shoe soles seem to never wear out.
I disagree, I too am a machinist, Red Wing are the ONLY shoes I buy for the last 6 yrs. Have two pair, alternate each day. The soles look almost new after a couple of years.
On 22 Jul 2005 13:59:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tell him to try out the bedliner stuff they spray on the toes and heels- it works great, and it's cheap. I'm in the same environment, and that's the stuff that does the trick.

Not work boots (no toecaps) but I still have a '92 pair of Timberlands, made in New Hamsphire. They're worn out now, but I was pretty impressed with them. The (Chinese made ?) Timberlands I bought last year are cheap rubbish in comparison.
Do Timberland still manufacture to their old standard ? Can I still get a "real" pair of them? Price pretty much no object.
I'd second the Ecco recommendation too. I don't wear them myself (I get many of my shoes hand-made - it's cheaper long term) but many of my friends do, and most who have one pair then wear almost nothing else.

I wear my Browning Featherweight Kangaroo skin bird hunting boots. I swear they less than my running shoes. The uppers simply do not wear out. I've hunted and worn these around the shop for ten years in these and they've been through four sets of soles and the uppers are still in great shape. Here's what they look like.
http://tinyurl.com/cok9r
Before you blanch at the price check the Cabela's bargain barn or some other discount outfitter. You should be able to find them for about $120.
Allen

I just like the idea of boots that are illegal in California. Why is that ? Kangaroo problems?

I have no idea! I don't recall that years ago when I got mine. Might just be roo skins got caught up in some sort of typical CA ban on something else. Any of our down under members ought to be able to verify the things are not endangered.
Allen
Allen Epps wrote:

They're not endangered, they're thriving. Greenies and Animal lib nuts would like us all to think otherwise. John