RE: O/T: Damn Cigarettes

Page 1 of 3
Phil Everly, (The Everly Brothers), cashed in his hand at 74.
Damn cigarettes claimed another one.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

At 74 any number of things could have folded his hand.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Lew Hodgett wrote:

----------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Read the obit.
Lew
On 1/4/2014 9:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It took my father at 53. I hate those things.

Agree completely. Took both my parents at the age of 69, eight years apart.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Meanie" wrote:

Mine lived just 3 weeks past his 54th.
I still remember his nicotine stained fingers as he lay in the casket and that was 55 years ago.
In all fairness, back then we didn't know what we know today.
Lew
Meanie wrote:

They took one of my close friends at 42 via his heart. His first heart attack was at 35 after 20 years of smoking, but quitting at that point didn't help. He died 2 days before Christmas 2012, and his younger daughter still believed in Santa Claus.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- SFWIW
My mechanic had a massive heart attact and survived thanks to the VA.
He survived but was still smoking.
He was read the riot attack by his doctors and thanks to the VA stopped smoking with the help of a VA program.
Chances are he will die from something other than smoking and he will see 60.
The message is pretty clear.
If you are a vet and a smoker who wants to stop, the VA has a program that will help you stop smoking IF you want to.
I realize that to receive VA help may include a significant drive to get to a VA hospital for some of you, but if it helps save your life, isn't it worth it?
Lew
CVS/Pharmacy just announced they will stop selling tobacco products in their 7600 retail stores 10/01/2114.
It will cost them at least $2 billion up front; however, long term you can't buy that kind of goodwill this will generate.
Wonder whose next to join CVS?
Lew
On 2/5/14, 12:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I hope they can do everything they need to make that happen in only 100 years. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 2/5/2014 1:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Smokes is big bucks. I recently spoke with a former manager of a convenience store in a border town. When his state increased the tax by a buck a pack, they dropped sales of 3,000 packs a day as people went across the border.
A small grocery/deli where I used to buy my lunch said they were the biggest income and profit producer he had.
Fellow at work is complaining he needs a new truck but can't afford one, yet he spends $80+ a week on cigarettes. And a six=pack and pint every week.
On 2/5/2014 2:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like he needs a new truck to haul his cigs and booz. Catch 22
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think I've been quit for 10 years now. Its sort of frightening how easy is would be to start back up. One of the things that helps me stay quit is the cost. I remind myself that if I'm going to buy a pack, then I might as well buy enough cigarettes for the month. That quickly snaps me back to my senses! I wouldn't even leave the house on Friday night with "only 1 pack"... If I was going to buy cigarettes today I don't think I could buy only 1 pack. In fact, even allowing 2 packs a day isn't a guarantee you won't run out ("Oh, the horrors..."). Although he quit years earlier, 25+ years of smoking Pall Mall's may have led to to my dad's death of lung cancer (among several other types) at age 72.
Bill
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------- My how times have changed.
I worked in a smoke shop while in high school.
Cigarettes cost $1.86/carton except for Pall Mall which was $1.88/carton.
Both sold for $1.95/carton and individual package sold for $0.20/package retail.
Tried to float a price increase to $2.05/carton retail, but it didn't fly until 2nd or 3rd attempt.
This was also about the time that a package had a couple of pennies taped on the side so you could use a quarter to buy a pack and automatically get $0.02 change.
Anybody remember Hav-A-Tampa cigars?
Came complete with a wooden mouth piece and was such a deal at $0.15/pair.
Lew
Lew
On 2/5/2014 7:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Over seas while on the ship my dad paid 4 cents per pack, 5 cents on land. 1946

Yes

Meh. Damned progressives. If they can't constitutionally ban it, they will attempt to tax it to death, thereby increasing crime, and more excuses to fill the prisons:
http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2013/12/11/tobaccocontrol-2013-051244.abstract
Government blatantly chasing revenue under the guise of social cost is a sign of the times, another way to fool the ever increasing gullible, and another nail in the coffin of freedom of choice.
How soon that failed experiment in wielding 'social cost', Prohibition, is forgotten ... as if the current "war on drugs" isn't enough to foment crime and chaos.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Really? You're complaining that taxing cigarettes is increasing crime? You've got to be kidding. You're one of the smartest people I know, but your IQ just dropped twenty points.
Whatever crime and costs that might be attributed to taxing cigarettes is VASTLY overshadowed by the loss of lives and costs to the healthcare system from people smoking.

Government restriction of any form causes crime.
Think about prohibition.

You should move a little closer to the Texas Mexican border, you might change your mind. On a slow day dozens of people are killed in any given border town.
Now you might say that the drugs, which is the focus of all the violence, would not exist if the government was not restricting its use and or when cigarettes are eventually out lawed crime will increase even more.
The government should only maintain the infrastructure and protect our borders.

Sorry, can't agree with that. While some of it maybe true, there are far too many benefits to regulating certain things that is ignored by your statement.
And, you're missing my point. Whatever crime that might be attached to restricting or taxing cigarettes is easily outdone by the devastating effects and costs that tobacco use has on society.

Regulation and restriction are two different things.

I disagree, and those living in the southern US border towns that are being murdered because of the trafficking caused by government laws restricting any number of products would probably disagree too.
Granted cigarette smoking is harmful to your health but if warning labels and ads on TV and health education at the doctors office and in schools is not enough then adding taxes is not going to do any thing but prompt smokers to obtain their tobacco in another way, and that is typically is illegal.