Re: Melamine banding advice needed!!

Gene, The white edge banding is fine and your iron will do. Remember that you heat the banding and move the iron but follow the heat with something cool, like a block of wood. That presses the banding and adhesive into the edge while it is cooling. A razor blade can do the trimming. I use it and then a block plane to cohamfer the edging.
i forgot to add here is a primer on it: here is Beth doing it: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/shopc-5.htm
Gene, I think you want to soften the edge of a desk because the underside of your arms are not meant to lean on a sharp corner. Think about using a wood strip that has it's corner broken with a corner rounding cutter or (God forbid) a hand plane.
On 24 Aug 2003 22:34:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (EugeneC173) wrote:

Whatever you do DON'T use the stuff Lee Valley (and I would guess others) sell. It is advertised as edging filler or some such. It comes in a small can and is about the consistency of spackling. Trouble is, when it dries it has a dull finish. Next to the somewhat glossy melamine it looks terrible. I can't see any use for it.
Dennis Vogel