RE: "Looking for Real Furniture"

HI all-
I posted asking about a baby crib that wasn't pressboard, made by indonesian monkey children and/or stapled together with a Swingline.
thanks for all your responses.
We ended up with a set of furniture from a company called Child Craft Industries. I cannot discover if our set was made in US, but acording to their website, they manufacture the majority of their furniture in indiana
Its... nice.
real wood, real joinery, competently finished. It's like what I would build if someone turned me loose on a tablesaw and a pile of pine boards. not art, but not bad.
bookcase, drawer, dresser and crib.
All the drawers are dovetailed out of .5in A ply with a .5in pineboard front and finish sanded, all the flat joints are tenoned in, the railings doweled in. the fit is good, the molding details from the board and not tacked on. the shelves were finished on all sides, the panels in the door real panels- the drawer bottoms and piece backs are 1/8 lauan, etc.
the staining is even and well finished.
it has metal sliders for the drawers, which i'm not crazy about, but eh.
the recessed hinges on the dresser doors could do for a tank hatch, crikey.
the only really cheesy part about it are these dinky brown plastic shelf supports.
and what's that smell? how about that- they finished it with linseed oil. crazy.
about $2k.
not sure exactly why i'm posting this, except to say thanks for the tips and share my experiences
carl
What you found is becoming rare. You are lucky to find any solid wood furniture that is not veneer over particleboard. Even furniture made in NA is becoming rare, many furniture manufactures are closing plants and buying Chineese furniture and putting their name on it. Local wood is being loaded in containers and shipped to China now. Things are changing fast. Brad snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote: