Re: Kitchen cutting board

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy) wrote:

Might I suggest that you only use this board for cutting dry stuff like bread. Walnut isn't a particularly close-grained wood, so effectively disinfecting it may turn out to be a problem - i.e., don't place animal products, like meats and cheeses on it. A better wood selection for a true cutting board would be hard maple or birch.
Roy wrote:

I would suggest that you don't use it as a cutting board. Walnut has toxins that over long periods of exposure can harm you.
Always wear a good dust mask when cutting Walnut.
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

all wood has long term exposure issues. however. . .
Walnut is not, repeat, NOT toxic as used for serving vessels.
it is however toxic to horses when used for bedding, and also its toxic when used as mulch for plants.

i would say, use a dust mask for any sanding, cutting, machining of lumber. however i don't follow my own advice on this one except when doing alot of sanding.