Re: How to Remove a Big Heavy Machine from a Basement

Page 1 of 3
Think about how you got it down there. Then, do it in reverse.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

But now my back isn't anymore what it was then. How do I go back in time to fix that?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:
> But now my back isn't anymore what it was then. How do I go back in time > to fix that? >
You would be amazed what some 18 year old guys will do for am few bucks and some good BEER.
Lew
I had a monster compressor in a basement. Put some planks on the stairs & laid the compressor on them. Tied a rope to the compressor, went around a change-of-direction pulley to a truck and "drove" the compressor upstairs. No kids hanging around so I got to drink the beer!
Tom Lew Hodgett wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:04:24 GMT, Lew Hodgett

The legal drinking age in most places in the US is 21. Be careful about that.

There have been no noticeable changes in the laws of nature, physics, or human behavior since I became eligible, simutaniously, for the draft, the franchise, and 3.2% bear in Kansas in 1982. You would be amazed at what 18 year old guys will do for some _bad_ bear. On move in day at the girls dorms at KU, the wise fathers would pack all sorts of heavy stuff without fear, because they would also pack a cold six of Bud. They never had to lift a finger.
--
Dana Miller

I'll assume you meant beer. I doubt to many people would care for some bear. The drinking age is, by federal law, 21 so giving some beer to some 18 year olds in exchange for some help may prove expensive.

"is" the drinking age, correct. However, in the past it was often 18, or even 16.
Born 1944, Netherlands
--
Best regards
Han

You sure that's federal law? My understanding was that it's state law in all 50, under coercion from the national government (threat of loss of highway funding, IIRC).
--
Regards,
Actually, you are right.
wrote:

bear.
year
all
Dana Miller wrote:

The trouble is that if they let slip that you gave them beer and their mommies go ballistic you can end up in jail these days.
The politicians have gone totally nuts on drinking under 21. Personally I'm of the opinion that anybody who is old enough to die for his country is old enough to drink and smoke, but the politicians don't see it that way.
--John
Agreed.
Personally

You can't. The best solution is not to put it down there to begin with, or just hire people to get it back out.

You can't. Better retire and let me take your woodworking tools away.
wrote in message

How far from 07410 do you live? I owe you a beer ...
--
Best regards
Han

Hire movers.

Exaclty. When SWMBO announced she was defecting to another team, I dreaded the affect it would have on the workshop. Turns out a few hundred dollars and a large number of moving guys later, I had my shop in a semi-better location. Now, if I can just get an electrician to put in a 20 amp circut, I don't care if I have to improve the landlord's house.

Didn't work. When it slipped out of my hands, it didn't roll up.

When the time comes, I'm planning to remove my table saw and shaper from my basement the same way they got down there: a ramp bolted to the stairs, and a dolly attached to a movable pulley.
--
Regards,
That approach doesn't work unless you warm up the anti-gravity machine first. JR Dweller in thje cellar