Re: How to Remove a Big Heavy Machine from a Basement

Reply to
nospambob

remember: there is no gravity the earth suck". eventually, it will have to exhale. When it does, simply guide it up the stairs.....

--JD

Reply to
jd

why not sell it on ebay and tell the buyer he must remove it ,then go and buy some new stuff.

just me

Reply to
Me

A few strong men and beer.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'm about to do that with a 450 gallon spa that got put in place by crane.

Reply to
B A R R Y

And a woman to direct the operation?

Reply to
B A R R Y

There are few woodworking machines to be found *anywhere* that a jeep CJ-10a won't move.

That particular model has a rated towing capacity of _40,000_ pounds.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

A 10,000 hp wood pulp refiner being one of them.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The legal drinking age in most places in the US is 21. Be careful about that.

Reply to
George Max

I've thought of that for myself, but I'm not sure that'd help me. It's alreay a lot of trouble getting stuff in and out the front door on the main floor. It seems that modern furniture and appliances are bigger than they used to make them when my house was built.

Particularly the mattress wifey and I just got. The delivery guys had a devil of a time getting it up the stairs. It just didn't wanna go through the first doorway and up the stair immediately behind.

Reply to
George Max

Reply to
nospambob

Yeah, that's what my FIL did to get some furniture into his living room.

When wifey and I were just married, the 2nd floor apartment we lived in had a hallway that twisted and turned and was too narrow to allow the couch we bought to get up there. So what I did was borrow a ladder and bring it up to the small balcony off that back of the place, through the bedroom and just barely squeeked it out the bedroom door, past a funny Z shaped jog to get 'er in the living room.

When we moved, I had to repeat that process, but was tempted to take a chainsaw to it and buy a new couch. Funny how it's almost always the couch that's the problem.

FWIW, I can't believe the effort I put into some things when I was younger. I wish I had that much energy today.

Reply to
George Max

Our last house before we moved into our current one had an awful configuration. Both the front door and the back door opened into t-hallways and it was virtually impossible to get anything large in or out of the house. Somehow, we managed to get the couch in but for the life of me, I can't imagine how, I just could not get it out again when we moved. The people we sold the house to got an extra bonus and we got a new couch.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Maybe it's just me, but every couch I've moved required unscrewing the legs (or floor pads) from the bottom, AND taking the doors off the hinges, AND turning the couch 90-degrees so the back was down on the floor, and the leg sockets pointing horizontally, (and once even pulling off the jamb stops to get the full-width opening of the door. It seems like every couch I've owned was around 36" tall, not counting the legs, and about 42" front-to-back. I've never had any 3-6 doors in my places.

We made good use of some moving blankets on each move, trying to keep the backs of the couches from getting torn or dirty sliding it over the floor. (yes, we lifted them over thresholds, steps, etc.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There have been no noticeable changes in the laws of nature, physics, or human behavior since I became eligible, simutaniously, for the draft, the franchise, and 3.2% bear in Kansas in 1982. You would be amazed at what 18 year old guys will do for some _bad_ bear. On move in day at the girls dorms at KU, the wise fathers would pack all sorts of heavy stuff without fear, because they would also pack a cold six of Bud. They never had to lift a finger.

Reply to
Dana Miller

I'll assume you meant beer. I doubt to many people would care for some bear. The drinking age is, by federal law, 21 so giving some beer to some 18 year olds in exchange for some help may prove expensive.

Reply to
CW

"CW" wrote in news:AmZMh.14409$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"is" the drinking age, correct. However, in the past it was often 18, or even 16.

Born 1944, Netherlands

Reply to
Han

You sure that's federal law? My understanding was that it's state law in all

50, under coercion from the national government (threat of loss of highway funding, IIRC).
Reply to
Doug Miller

The trouble is that if they let slip that you gave them beer and their mommies go ballistic you can end up in jail these days.

The politicians have gone totally nuts on drinking under 21. Personally I'm of the opinion that anybody who is old enough to die for his country is old enough to drink and smoke, but the politicians don't see it that way.

Reply to
J. Clarke