Re: How do you get accurate miters?

I'd make a "sliding table" mitre fence for my table saw with some 1/2 plywood. Lay out the 67.5 degree angle on the plywood screw a cleat onto the lay outline on one end tight enough to hold the angle and make a couple of fine tuning test cuts then screw it down tight. Depending on the length this could also have a stop block applied and get your length cut at the same time. Nothing fancy but effective for the cost of some scrap wood.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

You might be interested in the Veritas Poly Gauge. An angle setting device for making multi-sided items. It includes a 67.5 degree angle.

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
5 Reviews:

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

SawEyes

I'm now using an EB-3 miter gauge and have never had as much good luck as I'm having now. However, I have to admit that I haven't put anything together with more than 4 sides yet. Even so, no gaps so far.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

work they actually are pretty good...at least you get darn close on the initial setup...

But like another poster responded I find myself cutting a lot of 45 degree cuts and an ocassional 22.5 miter so I took the time years ago to make a sled for cutting them.. took a little time to tweak the sleds......and you bet I have a few 90 degree sleds also...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G