Re: Has anyone seen ad for a ruler with holes?

G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

Something like this?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G4883
-- Mark

... and the source (too fast on the "send" button. ;-)
http://www.incra.com/rules.html
-- Mark

Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Would it be one of these?
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?offerings_id 93&objectgroup_idB3&catidT
The Incra rulers are available from a lot of tool vendors. I've always thought they looked like a neat idea but I've never gotten around to buying one.
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:28:47 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

FWW has an article on rules for woodworking. They shoed it. I saw one in a Sears Hardware store some time back but I don't recall if it was the bent one. Ed
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:28:47 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Check your FWW #165, October 2003, pages 50-53 for Mario Rodriguez' article on precision rules for wooddorking.
.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

ROTFL!
I'm sure "worddorking" was just a typo but it's so descriptive of how some of my projects appear!
-- Mark, the Wooddorker
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:07:33 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
.:

actually that's an old wReck ism
Traves
And I thought the holes were to lighten the load.
pixelated:

pixelated:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 04:25:37 GMT, "Leon"
They're not?
I spent last night drilling all of my straight edges, and was just about to start my 6" and 12" Starrett squares, when I read your post.
Barry
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:28:47 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Like these?
<http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidD3&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1031%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CMarking%20%26%20Measuring&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2097%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CRulers%20And%20Tapes&Giftlse&mscssida7FD10E21E840DBB99ACFC4ED983717>
I think you're really looking for the "Bend Rule", but the page above states that they are no longer available.
Barry

Try http://www.woodpeck.com/rule.html . There are three sizes available at reasonable prices.
Tin Woodsmn
: Somewhere in the last two weeks I saw an ad or a catalog photo for a : ruler with tiny holes for a *sharp* pencil to make measured marks : precisely where you want.
The centre of your mark will be exactly placed, no doubt. But can one cut /exactly/ to the centre of a pencil line?
I have an embroiderer's pin that fits into an 0.5mm clutch pencil. This nicely fits the holes in mine. This mark can then be picked up by a marking knife.
Jeff G
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website www.amgron.clara.net
"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

Incra's web site lists the Canadian dealers as:
House of Tools Ltd. Edmonton, Alberta 780-944-9600
KMS Tools & Equipment Ltd. Coquitlam, British Columbia 604-522-5599
J. Carrier, Inc. Montreal, Quebec 514-598-9777
Outils Pierre Berger, Inc. La Prairie, Quebec 450-444-3882
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:03:05 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

<snip of addresses right across Canada excepting Ontario and the Yukon>

On the same web site:
Brampton Beemtec Canada, Inc. Tel: 905-792-4333
Lee Valley used to carry them, but no more. Care to 'splain why, Robin?
Personally, I use a knife for marking when the measurement is critical and a pencil when it's not. I find a 0.5mm lead to either be insufficiently accurate for precision work, or unnecessarily so. A freshly sharpened regular pencil is better than a mechanical one. So I was never really tempted to buy an Incra rule. Note that I am a one-eye-talian (lost my left eye in a car accident), so I have to be extra careful that my eye is properly lined up with the ruler marking since I can't take advantage of parallax like the rest of you. In theory, those rulers should work well for me, but, like I said, I was never really tempted.
However, I bemoan the loss of the Veritas Hook rules. I have a 12" one that I use all the time. I also would have got a 6" one, but they disappeared from recent catalogues. I know there were some complaints about the difficulty in reading the scales. I agree to some extent, but I have yet to make a measurement error with that rule, maybe because I have to be extra careful no to mistake the 16ths markings with the 1/32nds. So Robin, why did you give up making them?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address