RE: Harbor Freight Drill

Page 2 of 2

Leon wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.
This is a very small piece of what you did.
We are talking about cleaning two (2) grates that are about 10" x 20" and easily removed to clean.
The flame never comes in contact with the grate or the food.
Wearing protective breathing mask is just good practice whenever abrasive cleaning is involved.
With the grates removed, it is very easy to just scoop or shovel out any residue, which is now powdered, from the heat diffuser that divides the burners from the cooking surface.
Thanks for the input.
Lew
Update:
In my mailbox today was a flyer from HF.
$12.99 gets the 3/8" drill.
Also, for those interested, $9,99 gets the right angle sander/grinder.
When it cools down, it will be time for a trip to HF.
Thk's everybody.
Lew
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I am VERY familar with the $9.99 special, right angle sander/grinder.
Took me less than 4 hours to totally destroy one when I was building the boat.
24 grit, 4" discs play hell with the machinery, especially when you are sanding fiberglass.
If I truly needed a long term sander/grinder today, it would be a Milwaukee.
Destroyed every other one I tried including Makita.
Only repairs ever made to one was to replace a switch and a couple of sets of brushes.
Best $100 I ever spent for a tool.
Today, don't need that quality.
It's a matter of matching the brush to the application and then matching the tool to the brush.
That starts with a nylon brush operating around 450 RPM.
As far as duty cycle is concerned, 15-20 minutes, twice a week is about as heavy at it will get.
Lew
Lew
"woodchucker" wrote:

Built one and use it.
Posted pics at the time.
Lew
On 5/15/2014 10:03 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

How'd it work? Too much effort? Not clean enough?
Where's your review in retrospect...??? Not after you built it. Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"woodchucker" wrote:

Posted pics, got no response thus review complete.
Works well on a welded round rod grill grate; however, I'm using it on a cast iron, porcelain coated, grill grate.
Since it is a casting, draft angles come into play which is why I'm going to investigate the nylon brush concept.
A triangular cross section is not a round cross section.
Lew
On 5/15/2014 11:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hmmm. I have a weber with porcelain grates. There is a good draft angle on mine I believe. It's pouring now, so I am not going to check.
I'll have to give it a try.
What kind of wood did you use?
--
Jeff

On 5/16/2014 9:24 AM, woodchucker wrote:

mine are triangular as well. Are you saying they are not good for this? Seems like they would be, you just have to get the piece burned all the way.
--
Jeff

I got a magazine with a 25% HF coupon. Might be worth looking around and seeing if you can find one of those. (It was a Home Shop Machinist magazine, issue before the current one. The current one has a free multimeter coupon.)
Since my local store doesn't require the coupon to be clipped out, I've used the 25% coupon multiple times. It's almost paid for the magazine subscription. (I didn't subscribe for the coupons, just a nice bonus.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"woodchucker" wrote:

Red oak.
The gates of hell will rust shut before the grate contour gets burned into the wood.
Used a saber saw to remove most of the waste that would have burned, then burned final surface to fit.
Lew
On 5/16/2014 12:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

--
Jeff