RE: Harbor Freight Drill

I was just thinking along the same lines. I've got four angle grinders hanging on the wall. One of them is a Harbor Fright with a wire brush mounted on it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Update:

In my mailbox today was a flyer from HF.

$12.99 gets the 3/8" drill.

Also, for those interested, $9,99 gets the right angle sander/grinder.

When it cools down, it will be time for a trip to HF.

Thk's everybody.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

----------------------------------------------- I am VERY familar with the $9.99 special, right angle sander/grinder.

Took me less than 4 hours to totally destroy one when I was building the boat.

24 grit, 4" discs play hell with the machinery, especially when you are sanding fiberglass.

If I truly needed a long term sander/grinder today, it would be a Milwaukee.

Destroyed every other one I tried including Makita.

Only repairs ever made to one was to replace a switch and a couple of sets of brushes.

Best $100 I ever spent for a tool.

Today, don't need that quality.

It's a matter of matching the brush to the application and then matching the tool to the brush.

That starts with a nylon brush operating around 450 RPM.

As far as duty cycle is concerned, 15-20 minutes, twice a week is about as heavy at it will get.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

--------------------------------------------- Built one and use it.

Posted pics at the time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How'd it work? Too much effort? Not clean enough?

Where's your review in retrospect...??? Not after you built it. Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

--------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------------ "woodchucker" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Posted pics, got no response thus review complete.

Works well on a welded round rod grill grate; however, I'm using it on a cast iron, porcelain coated, grill grate.

Since it is a casting, draft angles come into play which is why I'm going to investigate the nylon brush concept.

A triangular cross section is not a round cross section.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:53754cc4$0$50608 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I got a magazine with a 25% HF coupon. Might be worth looking around and seeing if you can find one of those. (It was a Home Shop Machinist magazine, issue before the current one. The current one has a free multimeter coupon.)

Since my local store doesn't require the coupon to be clipped out, I've used the 25% coupon multiple times. It's almost paid for the magazine subscription. (I didn't subscribe for the coupons, just a nice bonus.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Hmmm. I have a weber with porcelain grates. There is a good draft angle on mine I believe. It's pouring now, so I am not going to check.

I'll have to give it a try.

What kind of wood did you use?

Reply to
woodchucker

mine are triangular as well. Are you saying they are not good for this? Seems like they would be, you just have to get the piece burned all the way.

Reply to
woodchucker

The gates of hell will rust shut before the grate contour gets burned into the wood.

Used a saber saw to remove most of the waste that would have burned, then burned final surface to fit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

:-p