RE: FrogTape

Page 1 of 2
FrogTape has been getting a lot of TV advertising in the SoCal market.
Anybody have any actual experience with the stuff?
Lew
On 8/15/12 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes, it's great stuff. I like it much better than the blue masking tape.. 3M, maybe? It's sticks just enough to mask and not bleed, but it comes right off. Your post reminded me that I had some still on the ceiling where I marked some studs for putting up crown molding. It's been up there a couple months and I just took it down. It came off as easy as if I put it up a minute ago, no residue and no paint stuck to the tape.
--

-MIKE-

And no bleeding of paint under the edge of the tape. Every other tape I've ever used has a little of that in some places. ~ even with my putting on an initial light coat before adding a heavier second coat.
Dave wrote:

The stickum on these tapes is (bees)wax. If you vigorously rub the tape after applying, the wax, the heat from the friction warms the wax slightly and the wax more completely fills the voids. This results in a better seal.
On 8/15/12 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I don't believe that for several reasons. Do you have a source for this information?
--

-MIKE-

Might have made a more useful reply if *you* went to frogtape's website and researched it yourself as I intend to do right now.
On 8/15/12 7:59 PM, Dave wrote:

Yet, you decided to do the same thing you accused me of. Brilliant. :-)
By the way, I actually did search the site first, which is why I asked him for his source.
--

-MIKE-

Ok, you are correct in this case. According to FrogTape's website,
"FrogTape is the only painters tape treated with PaintBlock Technology. PaintBlock is a super-absorbent polymer which reacts with latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the edges of the tape, preventing paint bleed."
On 8/15/12 8:15 PM, Dave wrote:

Yeah, I already read that before I posted my reply to him.... before your smart-assed comment, too. :-p
--

-MIKE-

If you'd just read it, common sense dictates you'd have posted it. Your first reply was worded as one of personal opinion, not just read knowledge.
Really, really, poor attempt with the bullshit Mike. Man up and admit it.
-MIKE- wrote:

Not handy. It was mentioned as part of a painting seminar at a local home show. The expert who gave the 1-hour seminar also sold a book, which, at this very moment, I can't find. He recommended using the rounded edge of your 10-in-1 tool to create the friction.
However, I'm sure my rememberance is correct. His comment is etched as firmly in my mind as the night the cat learned to open the gerbil cage.
On 8/16/12 5:54 PM, HeyBub wrote:

With due respect, that doesn't mean he knew what he was talking about. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

You're right, of course. As I recall his cv, it included an MS in Chemistry, 25 years working for two different paint companies, consultant and advisor to Home Depot. I will redouble my efforts to find his book, even if I have to buy another from the home improvement library at the box store.
I do remember him saying "The simple things in life are the most rewarding," as he nailed the kitten to the chesterfield. Or maybe it was someone else... I forget.
On 8/17/12 11:22 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Unlike the other guy who was in this conversation, I'm not looking to argue with you. I honestly wanted a source for this info. One of the reasons I'm skeptical about the tape containing beeswax is because of the shortage of it due to whatever is causing the honeybee population to plummet. I can't see a company producing such a ubiquitous product using an organic ingredient with such fluctuating supply over a synthetic substitute with a much more stable supply.
--

-MIKE-

On 8/17/2012 1:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

Did you try MSDS? Probably won't answer the question but who knows; occasionally they're of real interest to read.
I don't know just how short beeswax is in supply; one interesting use (at least to me) is as a temporary mount for accelerometers for vibration measurement. It's amazing it will adhere and transmit frequency through than virtually any other substance found to date for a temporary mounting...as far as I know they're still using the real thing but it's been quite a while now since retired from that former life.
On 8/15/2012 6:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The jury is still out with me. I used a roll for masking off oil based and water based stains and dyes.
I used it to mask off an oak to oak plywood joint. I wanted the solid oak to receive the stain but not the veneer plywood.
With a gel stain the tape worked as advertised. With General Finishes Dye stain it failed miserably.
The Frog tape is indeed a better tape than most that I have used however you are absolutely going to want to test or experiment before putting full trust in it working as advertised.
IIRC the tape is meant to be used with water based products. I found it worked well with products not listed as comparable.

I'm wondering if it might be dedicated more to paints. Stains and dyes might be a whole other animal.
On 8/16/2012 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Not surprising at all...I'd have expected that result going in.

It actually is meant to be used w/ latex paints--the gelling compound is designed specifically for them. They make no claims whatever about suitability for other products, water-based or no...

If you'd learn to put at least one coat of finish on your project prior to gluing, you'd probably avoid that problem, Leon. Seal it from the stain, then take the last trim cut on the piece so you have a gluable edge.

I can't believe they get more for that than 3M's already horribly overpriced blue tape.

What solvent is in the Gen Fin dye stains you use? That may be the culprit, but highly absorbant wood could be it, too. Dye is a lot thinner than the gel stain.
-- All of us want to do well. But if we do not do good, too, then doing well will never be enough. -- Anna Quindlen
On 8/16/12 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:

I don't think any kind of take is going to work with dyes. If the pigments in stain are basketballs, then the pigments in a dye are marbles. They will get anywhere.
--

-MIKE-