Re: Castair compressor

Hello,

> I was hoping someone had some personal (or even indirect) > experience with Castair compressors. see
> They are a company that has been in the business of "compressors" for > 20 years and only recently has begun to sell directly to the public. > They'll even construct a compressor to your own specificiations! Any > way, as most people I peruse the various brochurs of the "big boys" > like dewalt, porter cable, hitachi, ingersol, etc. and try to decide > between these manufacturers. However, it is said that many of these > are made in taiwan and china, while the Castair is made in the USA. > I would assume you'd get a little better quality. > > One other spec on their Contractor Series direct drive compressors was > the "pump rpm". They were rated at 1750 rpm. Many of the dewalts, > and porter cables have a motor rpm or 3400-3700. Is that the same > thing? pump vs. motor? Any way, the Castair are supposed to be very > well made and are apparently amazingly quiet. > > I've done various searches on the net and can't seem to find anything, > except for one guy who turned in his porter cable for a Castair. He > left a response on Amazon. Prices, too, are competitive.
Reply to
Mike Reed

I ended up paying a bit more for a Castair than a Husky or a Campbell-Hausfield. I basically got the smallest upright model. It is still pretty big.

I liked the fact that is made less than an hour's drive from home with all US made parts. I also liked that it was sold at the local hardware store instead of the big box.

Never had another compressor of the same style to compare noise against.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Thanks for the reply. What do you think of the noise level?

By the way, what model did you get? I understand that many of the direct drive models have the same specs except for the tank (hot dog, twin tank, pancake). I wonder why you'd want one over the other?

Reply to
mauiboy