Re: campbell hausfeld compressors quality

I suspect you got a bad one...and suspect that what every valve you think is broken, may be a bad one and is probably not an inherent problem. I think the bigger problem with these direct drive compressors is the Oil-less design. Some direct drives use oil.

I got a 20 gallon, 5hp belt drive on wheels when I built my house 6 years ago. It had a problem with the release valve a year ago, replaced it ($15) and it still running great. I think is finally getting broken in, runs better now (read less noise) then ever. Good value. That said, I have CH impact driver and it does just enough for me that I don't through it away; I don't think that comes as a surpise to anyone and not me either.
Renata wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't buy an oil-less. I view them as more of a disposable compressor. As with most tools the more you spend the better the tool

Why? I think you've got it backwards. In case you haven't heard, petroleum oil makes a decent lubricant ;)
I just got a 10-year old oil-lube belt drive 3.5HP 15-gal for $60. Works like a champ.
Might want to reread his statement.

I guess I still miss your point... he said, he would not buy oil-less. Meaning that he would only buy a oil lubricated compressor.
You seem to indicate also that the oil type would be the way to go, as he does.

Ok, I'm a retard. I read it as "oil-lubed," not "oil-less." Once my brain sees something one way, I guess I don't really look at it closely again.
lol
my bad
Been there, done that ;~)

I avoid them whenever possible. I bought a Husky (made by Campbell Hausfeld) 26 gal oil-lube compressor last year that had a leaking weld which was clearly not caused by shipping damage. There is no excuse for something like that to leave the factory.
I have campbell hausfeld 1 hp.....direct drive with a 20 gal. tank for years....works good, but you need to use a 20 amp circuit, because if its a little cold out, it will trip the breaker every time. And most of the time i,m in the garage n the breaker is down in the basement. So, I make sure i use the shop outlets...20 amp. Mine is oil-less....runs my air-guns fine.....finish, brad, and staple nailer. Wish it was quieter too. But, its on wheels n I got my money`s worth alrerady.....must be 10 yrs. old now....One of these days maybe i`ll get a bigger one.....

Go oil, it will be much quieter..

I got nearly 10 years out of my first CH (same description as yours - w/ black tanks) doing construction day-in, day-out. The only problem was the trail of ballbearings it left behind on the last day:) I not have the new improved iron-fortified model (yellow now) - it has a bum switch but works like a champ.
I stopped by a compressor repair facility a while back and asked one of the technicians/repair guys his impressions of the various brands based upon cost, repair frequency, ect. He said he would buy a CH oiler. Cheers, JG
Renata wrote:

That is the one I would get if I used it daily in the field.

Renata,
Similar story: I too have the CH 4 gal, 3 hp (yeah, right), 'Extreme Duty' Contractor Series compressor...same as yours. The check valve crapped-out about 1 month ago after having owned and used (sparingly) for 1 year.
Interesting side: I bought it at The Despot, mostly due to the fact that is was marked down from $260 to $210 (sold out of box as returned/reconditioned). For a compressor of that size and price to be putting out 6+ SCFM at 90psi, I thought it was a steal and since, I have not come across any other brand that states similar volume for less. Since purchasing that unit, I have seen another unit (exact same model) on the floor at HD, out of the box, for the same price.
Conclusion: That particular model compressor by CH has a faulty check valve that fails frequently. Most get returned, you and I own the other 2.
snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote in message

I managed to pick up a little-used CH for $free. What gets me is the size of the outlet pipe. It smaller than the size recommended for my tools. I can't remember the sizes now, its a long way away. Seems the outlet is only 1/4" and I use 3/8" fittings and hoses, just like my tools need.
M Hamlin

Renata wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2003, 12:30pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) Are there any known problems with quality with this particular brand? <snip> ****************************************************** I have had a CH compressor for about 10 years. The cast iron compressor (oil in crankcase) and the motor are excellent. All of the control components, i.e., pressure regulator, unloader, on-off switch, etc., are very cheaply made and part of an integrated plastic assembly. I have had to replace this once at a price of $60.00. They have no in-house customer service department, When you call their 800 number you get a computer voice that directs you to their nearest service shop, according to your zip code, which is many miles away in my case. I will say that when I called this shop the person was quite knowlegeable. But it cost me a toll call and a 100 mile roundtrip drive to get a new pressure relief valve which leaked. I also replaced the drain cock, which was the type used on automobile radiators and impossible to open, with a ball valve that has a handle on it. When the next part fails I will buy another make of air compressor. Peace ~ Sir Edgar