Re: Best 14" bandsaw?

How big is your wallet? :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Woodworking Techniques & Projects - Kreg Right Angle Clamp - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill ------------------------------------------------------------
I can maybe get away with around $500. Whatever it takes to get a good tool, though. A piece of junk won't do any good in the long run even though it was cheap (he told his wife).
No doubt I'll want to start resawing soon enough, so that is a consideration.

I've got a Delta 3/4 horse saw, and it has issues re-sawing thick stuff, especially maple. Careful management of the feed rate is required. Never tried anything harder than that. It was around $700 CDN, so it would be somewhere in your price range. They also have higher end ones (even in the 14" models) that may go on past your price.
I've heard good things about the Grizzley saws. For your price, you could look at either the 14" or 15" saw. You can do a Google search on this newgroup to get feedback on them.
In any case, find a source for good blades to go along with your saw. Depending on the saw you get, you may also have to budget for Cool-Blocks, a fence, and a miter gauge, if you want one.
Clint

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Spend a few hundered more and get a Mini-Max used. I bought a brand spanking new Jet 14" and it is a fine tool. Bought a Mini-Max 18" and it is much man. A REAL piece of machinery and not just a tool.

I have the Jet 14 with riser and have no complaints. After 1 year it has done everything I needed plus. Al in Sunny Longview

How much would you pay for a 20" Delta or Powermatic, both are 20 yr old? I have not seen the machines nor do I have any idea of the accessories. I am assuming both machines are in good condition.

How much are they asking? If you are serious about this wood addiction, find a way to get one. It can always be fixed, if needed. -- Jim in NC
Asking for $1450.

Well, then, you should get them both.
todd
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:58:41 -0500, "todd"

EACH, and NOT BOTH!

My mistake...you should get them each. Doesn't sound right to me, but you're the boss.
todd
I have the Delta 14" Limited Edition model 28-299, and I love it. I paid around $850 for the setup (came with a mobil base, and some other stuff). I'm beginning to think a band saw is the best and most versatile tool I have in my shop.
Just this past week I purchased some Timberwolf blades (1/2" 3tpi, 1/4" 10tpi and 1/8" 14tpi) (about $15-$16 each) and replaced the guide blocks with Cool Blocks (only $14). I added some washers (25 cents each) behind the top wheel to bring it into coplaner alignment. With that setup, I was able to shave a veneer off a solid block of fir. I need more practice, and a taller fence, but the blade has zero lead, so I can follow the rip fence. And the cut was very smooth, even with the 1/2" 3tpi blade. I'm very happy with my setup.
Tim