Re: 6" vs 8" Jointers

What's the basic width of timber out there, and do you intend to take it from unsurfaced to final product? The proportion of 8" boards to non-8" boards always favors non-8, so most will be to big for face joining, or smaller, and therefore capable of being faced on a 6" machine. Shop size is a player as well. Most of us don't have unlimited space, and an extra four square feet might narrow us too much.
Want to guess what I have?

Dave,
where are you? In Melbourne the WWing show is about to hit town and there's usually a bit of a price war going on. Also, twice the price doesn't necessarily apply, it depends on what brand you buy. Since a lot of them come from the same factory you might be paying for a label only.
I bought an 8" last year and have not regretted it (except when taking it off the ute). What models are you looking at?
regards,
Greg (Melbourne)

I had a 6" for years - then picked up an 8" at an estate auction a few months back. I had no idea what I was missing - that extra 2" feels an extra 2 feet. I can just about face joint any board I work with not which is great.
If I were to do it again - I would go right to the 8" if space and $$ permit.

Put it this way, I went to a 12". It all depends on what you work on. I like exotic woods; and ripping down that nice rosewood or lacewood just to surface it would be sad indeed.
I agree Daryl it would be, however cost is a big issue as even a clone of the 8" Delta costs around $1300 in Australia. I dread to think what the real deal would be so I can only assume a 12" would mean re mortaging the house. As an example the basic Delta Unisaw without extensions or any of the trimmings costs around $3400 here.
As for what I work on I have dabbled in wooodworking for a short time but now have decided to make it my main hobby and the list of projects from SWMBO is growing rapidly. They are 2 end tables (mission style), 2 x Morris chairs, 1 x 3 seat mission sofa, 1 x entertainment unit 1 x large display cabinet, 2-3 built in book cases and 1 x kitchen..... Oh I forgot, somewhere in amoungst all that I need a new cpomputer desk.
Of course to do a good job on all these projects I "NEED" :-) more machinery, hence my original question.

Hi David,
where are you? Those prices sound high and, here in Melbourne, I know I could point you to a few stores where you'd do much better than that.
Also, buying tools in not necessarily the way to go either. I know a store in Williamstown that allows you to work on your projects using their machinery, a good option for some and reasonable pricing.
regards,
Greg

G'day Greg, i'm in Towoomba and there is no such facility here, besides between work and family its better that I can duck out to the garage to work when ever i get a free hour or so. Also the Mrs is happy for me to spend serious $ on machines (acquiring the $$$ is another thing) as she can see value in woodworking. If I try to spend $10 on the poota its considered a waste :-). Besides half the fun of woodworking is the continuous acquasition of stuff. He who dies with the most toys wins (semi rural, married wage earner division, BG will win in the open division).
David

Hi David,
Other way around here for me actually. But since I run a software/design business, $$ into the comp. is tax-deductible expenses! Woodworking on the other hand....sigh!
BTW I don't have much to contribute to your question (I wish I had the money for a jointer myself, I'm stuck with presurfaced lumber for now), but seeing your name I had to post and say howdy :)
-David (Woods)
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being

I have never been to a WWW show but will definetly be going to the next Brisy one but that is a long way off. As I mentioned in th ubeaut forum I may wait till the Brisy show and try to cut a deal for a few machines but I have an urgent need to by something big and electrical. Bought a dust collector but that didnt satisfy as it doesnt produce any sawdust. :-)
Regards
David