Range Hood Plans

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get some plans for various hoods? I'd appreciate any help. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff and Jennifer Cook

Talk to the fire marshall before you do this. Your best beat is to case a commercial hood in a wooden enclosure.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I am also planning to build a wood enclosure for the range hood. I also want to use external blower to reduce noise. I only checked NuTone products and they seem to have both external blower and accessories. Are there any other manufactures worth considering?

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Find a BrandSource dealer in your area, and go see the showroom. They will have a lot of options for you.

No affiliation, etc.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Vent-A-Hood is the best IMHO.

Regards, Allen

Reply to
Allen Windhorn

Not a good idea. Use sheet copper, stainless steel or galvanized metal with BBQ paint.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd stay clear of wood. Simply not fire retardant and difficult to clean.

Reply to
M-14

In article , snipped-for-privacy@Vet.com replies ...

That's true, yet there are wooden range hood *covers* that have a metallic liner in the bits that get hot. Could this be what the OP is looking for?

Reply to
Charles Jones

I understood the question. If anyone actually made a rangehood just out of wood.... I'd feel real sorry for them.

I do a lot of Chinese cooking very hot wok, over time the "wooden hood cover" was showing it's age prematurely. It was a bitch to keep clean and manage the surface. Oil is oil and hot oil will still permeate the wood hood cover over time and turn rancid. So we chucked it and went Stainless Steel with a Copper cover! Much nicer....and easier to maintain.....

Reply to
M-14

Yeah, if you're doing a lot of frying then it *is* a bad idea.

But, experiences vary. My neighbor, who for health reasons does almost no frying at all, has had a wood-surfaced hood for nearly a decade now and is quite happy with the thing.

Mmmmm, copper. I like copper ... :-)

Reply to
Charles Jones

I assume you are talking about some type of cover with the fan and motor parts hidden. One thing to check is the specs on the range or cook-top. Those specs will give you the dimension, from the top of the cooking surface, for any combustible material. This can make a very big difference in how tall your wooden hood cover will be or whether you have room for another cabinet above it. We just installed a wooden hood cover in a kitchen with a built in cook-top. The cook-top required 30" between the cook-top surface and any combustible. The specs would allow 24" if all of the exposed combustible edges were covered with a specific type of sheet steel.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Actually, some _are_ fire retardant. I understand that Ipe has the same fire rating as concrete. Redwood doesn't like to burn either--forest fires are part of the reproductive cycle for redwoods. Getting the grease off is another story. And they aren't the only ones.

But convincing the fire marshall that your ipe hood is as safe as steel may take some doing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I put a commercial blower on the roof -- better price than nutone. 1200CFM w/ 10" duct. Cannot recall the brand name but check with restaurant supply stores. Be sure to consider/calc make-up air needs - especially if you heat/air condition your space (i.e., windows are closed). Problem is that residential designers generally have no idea about this issue (not blaming them, just IME). If you want expert advice on this, get a short consult with a commercial kitchen designer - try to find one that will give you good advice but no so anal that he/she insists that you meet commercial code. HTH. -- Igor

Reply to
igor