Range Hood Plans

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get some plans for various hoods? I'd appreciate any help. Jeff
Jeff and Jennifer Cook wrote:

Talk to the fire marshall before you do this. Your best beat is to case a commercial hood in a wooden enclosure.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Find a BrandSource dealer in your area, and go see the showroom. They will have a lot of options for you.
No affiliation, etc.
Patriarch

Vent-A-Hood is the best IMHO.
Regards, Allen
--
Allen Windhorn (507) 345-2782 FAX (507) 345-2805
Kato Engineering (Though I do not speak for Kato)

I put a commercial blower on the roof -- better price than nutone. 1200CFM w/ 10" duct. Cannot recall the brand name but check with restaurant supply stores. Be sure to consider/calc make-up air needs - especially if you heat/air condition your space (i.e., windows are closed). Problem is that residential designers generally have no idea about this issue (not blaming them, just IME). If you want expert advice on this, get a short consult with a commercial kitchen designer - try to find one that will give you good advice but no so anal that he/she insists that you meet commercial code. HTH. -- Igor
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:00:31 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"

Not a good idea. Use sheet copper, stainless steel or galvanized metal with BBQ paint.
I'd stay clear of wood. Simply not fire retardant and difficult to clean.

That's true, yet there are wooden range hood *covers* that have a metallic liner in the bits that get hot. Could this be what the OP is looking for?
--
Charles Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@frii.com)
Loveland, Colorado

Yeah, if you're doing a lot of frying then it *is* a bad idea.
But, experiences vary. My neighbor, who for health reasons does almost no frying at all, has had a wood-surfaced hood for nearly a decade now and is quite happy with the thing.

Mmmmm, copper. I like copper ... :-)
--
Charles Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@frii.com)
Loveland, Colorado
HMFIC@1369 wrote:

Actually, some _are_ fire retardant. I understand that Ipe has the same fire rating as concrete. Redwood doesn't like to burn either--forest fires are part of the reproductive cycle for redwoods. Getting the grease off is another story. And they aren't the only ones.
But convincing the fire marshall that your ipe hood is as safe as steel may take some doing.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:00:31 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"

I assume you are talking about some type of cover with the fan and motor parts hidden. One thing to check is the specs on the range or cook-top. Those specs will give you the dimension, from the top of the cooking surface, for any combustible material. This can make a very big difference in how tall your wooden hood cover will be or whether you have room for another cabinet above it. We just installed a wooden hood cover in a kitchen with a built in cook-top. The cook-top required 30" between the cook-top surface and any combustible. The specs would allow 24" if all of the exposed combustible edges were covered with a specific type of sheet steel.
Mike O.