Random thought: Right tilt vs left tilt

Page 2 of 2
On 9/23/2010 12:14 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote: HOWEVER. lack of a Unifence would be cause for a deep discount

Interesting, especially to someone in the T/S market. Could you explain what you regard as the important difference (s)?
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/23/2010 9:41 AM, Bill wrote:

From what I've seen, Delta is no longer offering the Unifence as an option on the new Unisaws. Kinda tells me they've decided to phase it out, which I think is unfortunate because like Lew I prefer it to the Biesemeyer.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Instead of phasing it out, maybe they need to redesign the handle/ alignment/locking mechanism, on the latest model(s), better. I have 2 Unisaws, one with the old Unifence and one with the newest model Unifence. The old model is much more convenient, slips on the rail easy, and the handle locks in place easy.... all one motion. With the newer one, you have to mess with the handle to get it to slide onto the rail, mess with the handle for it to be positioned right to align the locking mechanism inside the rail, before it will lock into place properly. I haven't looked at the insides to see what differences are there, but I've had the newer fence for over a year and it's still aggrevating to align and lock the thing, all in one motion, as with the old fence. Additionally, if you need to move the newer fence, some tinkering with the handle is needed before everything is in place/ aligned, again, for locking it, again.
Possibly, my discomfort with it, is that, the handle part feels limp, as if unattached (? you have to feel it to know). Once everything is in place for locking, then it feels properly attached to its framing.... and the handle doesn't engage (lock securely) until the handle lever is pressed all the way down (90° to the table surface).... this is an awkward position to have to push the handle to. The older unit's handle angle, when locked, is 45° down from the table surface.... that "feel" is much better.
When I'm working, I want to set the measure, lock and cut.... It's/ I'm that fast with the older unifence. With the newer fence, I'm having to fondle it, before locking and cutting... by then, I find my train of thought, for running the cut, interrupted a bit. That slight hesitation is aggrevating, sometimes.
Newer is not always better.
I've never used a Biesemeyer. Not that I prefer a Unifence. I started with a Unifence and just stayed with it. From what I have read, seen... all but experience, I'm sure the Biesemeyer is just as good.
I've gotten off the original topic. However, my new Unifence is set for left of the blade and the old fence is set for right of the blade, i.e., either one for using on each side of the blade on both my left tilt or right tilt saws.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:31:26 -0500, Steve Turner

Probably another cost cutting measure. My guess would be that the design of Uni-fence makes it more expensive to manufacture than the Bies.
Mike O.
Add pictures here
✖
Mike O. wrote:

<snip>
From Delta's web site (note the post date):
"Fence systems
1/24/2003
Question: Older episodes show norm using a biesmeyer fence while more current ones show a unifence..i have used both it seems the biesmeyer holds a slight advantage only because shop-built jigs are much easier to make....why norm's change to the unifence?????
Answer: Well, we've changed fences again... We now have gone back to the Biesemeyer. It is easier to fit most appliances to although we will miss the Unifence system in certain operations."
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Library/TipsAndTechniques.aspx?BlockID3137d8e-0981-4b63-ad90-ca48ec0faf82
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Steve Turner wrote:

I noticed Grizzly's G-690 T/S comes with their "Camlock T-fence"--which, by its looks, doesn't make as good of an impression on me as either of the above.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:14:22 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I feel just the opposite. I've used a Bies on the job for years and had a Uni at home. I always found it a PITA to remove the fence from the arm and re-attach it to the other side to cut left of the blade. I would find myself doing anything to keep from cutting left of the blade. I finally sold it and bought another Bies for home. I do think they are both good fences though.
Mike O.
Add pictures here
✖
"Mike O." wrote:

------------------------------- If I spent more than 2-3 minutes making the conversion, I was probably dogging it.
SFWIW, I'm NEVER in a hurry around a T/S.
Guess it's a matter of "Whatever floats uour boat".
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
✖