Random thought: Right tilt vs left tilt

I strongly prefer a left tilt table saw as most do (except lefties I suppose).I sometimes see right tilt saw for sale pretty cheap, like an old unisaw for a few hun. What if you swaped the wires on the motor, swaped the fence and ran the bitch from the other side? Could that be done?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

The main trouble is that almost every tool power or hand tool, is made for a right handed user. The "hold-on" button is always on the left hand side of the handle Power saws have the motor on the left hand side most axes are right handed, as are hammers, or is it only the handles which are right handed? You can buy a left handed shifting spanner, but you have to look hard to get one and try them out before buying It might be an English thing, their car steering wheel is on the right hand side. Or, it may be a religious thing, when I went to a religious school, the teachers used to crack kids on the knuckles with the edge of a 15" ruler if they tried writing with their left hand.

Reply to
George W Frost

Five problems, two easy, two not, one in between..

Easy, part 1: the extension table's on the wrong side. You'll want to move it.

Easy, part 2: simply swapping the wires leading to an AC induction motor won't make it run backward, since that reverses the polarity of both the rotor *and* the stator. You'll need to open it up and swap the *internal* wiring. Not a big deal, just be aware that you need to do that.

In between: where will you mount a splitter and guard?

Not easy, part 1: the elevation crank will be on the opposite side of the saw from where you're standing.

Not easy, part 2: you won't have very much room for infeed, working from the wrong side of the table, only a few inches. And I think that's enough to rule the idea out.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The saw blade would be right near the front of the table instead of at the back. There would be very little support for the workpiece before it reached the blade.

Reply to
Larry W

All those problems and parts are too much trouble. Turn your back to the saw and cut using a mirror.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'm a lefty. I've used both. Just a matter of getting used to it. I have been known to move the rip fence to the left side on a right tilt so the blade tilts away from the fence.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I am most familiar with 3 phase which is easy to reverse.

What are those? ;^)

Shit! I guess it's time to get tht trained monkey I've always wanted. "Crank it up chippy and a 15 degree bevel"

Ehh could make a small infeed table

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

------------------------------------ You would have a backassword hermaphrodite instead of a saw.

Kind of reminds me of when as a kid, my Dad would ask me for a "Left Handed Monkey Wrench."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Axes and hammers??? Pray tell, how is either the head *or* the handle of an axe or a hammer right-handed?

A what? I know that British "spanner" = American "wrench", but what is a shifting spanner?

Reply to
Doug Miller

More trouble than it's worth.

Reply to
Doug Miller

An adjustable wrench?

Reply to
HeyBub

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Reply to
Robatoy

It would not be so bad with a cabinet saw, but a contractor saw has the motor and belt hanging off the back. I can just imagine pushing the last bit of the board and getting "things" caught in the pulley. Damn, that would hurt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the problem is ripping with the blade tilted, you could always get long tubes for your fence and shift the tubes so you have much more ripping width to the left of the blade. That's a pretty easy mod with a Bies or similar fence system.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

------------------------------------- After posting a smart ass response, gave the above some more thought.

Personally whether the saw was a left or a right tilt doesn't mean much; HOWEVER. lack of a Unifence would be cause for a deep discount in any offer I would make for a T/S.

If the saw is for somebodies production unit, then a Bies is acceptable, otherwise it's gotta have a Unifence.

Just my $0.02.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Never seen one but they very well might exist. Left handed Crecent wrenches are around.

Reply to
CW

You would have to be a self opiniated yank, who think the sun shines out of your own shit-hole and everything that you say or pronounce, is right with no exceptions Firstly, if you have the brains to see, an axe or hammer handle, when you look at the cut of the piece which slips into the hammer or axe head, you will see that the cut is slightly off centre, thus favouring a right handed person I have worked with hammers, axes, and picks and have replaced many and enough handles to know But, I guess that you are too dumb to realise this, if you need a new handle, you just go to Walmart and buy a new complete whatever.. Next, a shifting spanner is what it says it is, it is a spanner whch you are able to shift the opening of the jaws, allowing you to use the same spanner, shifting spanner, or differing sized bolts and nuts. Then again, for your inept and sasrcastic intelligence....intelligence?, now that is a misnomer, you may call it an adjustable wrench

Reply to
George W Frost

A left handed wrench, or a shifting spanner, or an adjustable wrench, are around alive and well. You can tell the difference by the thread of the adjuster On a right handed one, you adjust the gap by pushing the adjuster upwards with your thumb, this closes the gap But, if you are left handed and you hold it in your left hand and then push up, this will open the gap But, if you hold a left handed shifting spanner in your left hand and push the adjusting wheel up, then this would close the gap

You were lucky your Dad didn't ask you to get him a left handed screwdriver

Reply to
George W Frost

Thanx for the info. You got the personality right. Most just killfilter his arogance.

[...]

Josepi

On 9/23/2010 12:14 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote: HOWEVER. lack of a Unifence would be cause for a deep discount

Interesting, especially to someone in the T/S market. Could you explain what you regard as the important difference (s)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill