radial arm saw vs. compound miter saw

Page 3 of 3

use a hold down clamp, or your hand. I'd never let a board float under any circumstance.The blade only climbs on the way out, just like a slider saw does.
I've always been more careful with my table saw as it too can lift and throw wood under the right circumstances.
As far as I am concerned all power saws are dangerous, except a band saw perhaps.

The bandsaw is just as dangerous as the other saws. It feels tame, but will slice through something without a second thought. It's much less likely to throw something, but that's the only bit that's really safer.
Puckdropper
On 17 Jul 2016 11:51:28 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

You don't tend to feed as fast into a bandsaw (as a TS or RAS), so reaction time helps. Bandsaws don't tend to grab the piece and pull your hands into the sharp stuff, either.

They take their share of fingers though https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/AccidentSearch.search?acc_keyword=%22Bandsaw%22&keyword_list=on

A *lot* of the amputations are by meat cutters. They operate the tools a little differently than woodworkers. The lacerations aren't such a bid deal. The only time I did a number on myself with my table saw, it was off. OTOH, surprisingly, there are a lot more than table saws, presumably because there are so many more (meat cutting) bandsaws in operation.

Well the hint there is "Don't cut meat" on a bandsaw. I wonder how much of that was due to cutting frozen meat.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

If you read the first one, he wasn't even cutting anything--some kind of powered vise on the saw crushed his finger. That's something you have to be careful about with such reports--they don't quite report what you think they report.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

I've sawn several logs that have been comprised of hard and soft spots. You push at a pressure level appropriate to keep the feed going through the hard stuff, and when you get to the soft stuff it just flies. By the time you react, the wood is 2-3" further than when you said "ooh!" and went to adjust.
While the saw isn't pulling your hands in, they are heading towards the danger zone and suddenly accelerating can be just like being pulled in.
Puckdropper
On 17 Jul 2016 20:28:39 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Good point but I'd think an alarm should go off in your head when it doesn't feed evenly.

I've had that happen on a RAS, ripping bowed wood (rubbing against the guard "nose"). The abnormal resistance is a warning.
On 17 Jul 2016 11:51:28 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

True enough.
On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 3:36:55 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

Hard to cut steel plates on a CMS. Not so hard on a RAS.
Multiple shallow cuts, lowering the blade each time.
BTDT...many times.
You need to buy (or at least borrow) one or the other depends on the type o f task you'd need. Both works differently. Table saws work perfectly when c utting huge pieces of wood especially plywood but if you need to have angle d cuts, the RAS works better. Maybe it will do you good to read something l ike the link below to fully understand, too.
http://woodworkingtoolkit.com/radial-arm-saw-vs-table-saw/

Cutting miters on a TS is no problem at all for the experienced and with a decent miter gauge. I have no problem cutting miters at all with my TS and Incra miter gauge.
And with a sled, like the Dubby, miters on a TS are easy even for a novice.